How much LR for a 20 gallon

ladyemt

Just curious, I know they say 1 lb of live rock per 1 gallon. But I was wondering, how much can I get away with on a 20 gallon for a fish only tank?? My tank is empty and cycling right now.

schadiest1

stick with the 1lb per gallon. unless you are going to do a live sand bed also, then maybe you can get away with a lil less.

irishsalt

Originally Posted by Schadiest1
stick with the 1lb per gallon. unless you are going to do a live sand bed also, then maybe you can get away with a lil less.

Good Advice,
One thing I do notice with the Local dudes here is that they're often reco 3+Lb's per gallon.....EEEEKKK!!!
Hi Ladyemt - I have a 29gallon with 40lbs+ LR(give or take a pound) and 30Lbs LS. It's mostly Fiji with some Tonga and one gorgeous piece of Aluici(sp). My levels are still perfect but I had dieoff that lasted - least two weeks from the rock I bought from this site. I wouldn't even have this much LR if It was something really nice like ST. Marshall.
I'd say the above quoted posters advice and start out with 1lb/g. Keep in mind that Rock Density plays a major factor. Some of the Fiji I c going around now is nice and Light and most of it is very heavy for my tastes. You wanna grow as much Coral as possible and that's not gonna happen as much if your tank is overloaded with LR.
Even the Tonga Branch I've been looking - is MUCH heavier then any said rock I was buying 8 years ago. If your buying locally, Have them weigh it BEFORE you buy it.
Peace

snipe

Well depending on what kinda rock it is will be more dense or less dense then other rock and you may need more or less of the rock to = the same amount as the denser rock.

norway

just look at some examples of how other members set their tank up and use your imagination and then go out and buy some really nice rock(imo is rock that has tons of caves, holes, crevaces) to fit what you dreamed up for your tank. the less dense the rock is the more room it takes up in your tank and the better it looks. i went through about a 6 month period where i only bought rock and fish and inverts untill i had my rock buying and arranging complete. trust me, you will rearrange your rocks unless you get lucky the first time... have fun

mdmacolyte

Hi Ladyemt =) I went with 1.5 to 2lbs of rock per gallon when I set up my tank. 80% of it is base rock with a couple of nice choice LR to "seed" the rest of it... Im in Newport News =) Its nice to see a local on here... LOL

ladyemt

Norway, your tank looks awesome. Hopefully I can get my looking that good. My 20 gallon is 15 inches high and 24 inches long. I have found someone in my area selling LR for a good price so hoping to have it soon. And, MdmAcolyte it is so nice to have someone close to me too, LOL. I am so new at this and this is my second attempt on a SW tank. I am hooked already and have leraned alot from thse borads. But still have some questions. You guys have been so great on being pacient and understanding here. I am so glad I found this webpage. :cheer:
:jumping:

mdmacolyte

Lady, if you want help around the LFS's let me know. =) Im getting ready to set up my first nano in the next week or so and it would be cool to have a shopping buddy besides my husband... LOL Email me if yer interested... =)

rpick

I've got a 29gal tank with about 50lv of lr. all fiji. will post a pic when i put the critters in.

ladyemt

MdmAcolyte, I would love to have a shopping buddy who knows what they are looking at, LOL. I have found a person in Chesapeake that is selling live rock so if you need some let me know. As far as LFS, I know of Tonys on Mercury and fish safari in Va Beach. My email address is Ladyemtinva@aol.com.

mdmacolyte

You have to be careful about that... Make sure it is saltwater safe or the decoration is going to "erode" from the saltwater and you dont want that stuff in your tank... Some people have done it though so its not unheard of, just be careful. I know there are coral decorations that are saltwater safe, just be sure to check the labels... ;)
I was originally going to go for a "lost city of atlantis" motif in my tank, but after I got all the rock in I was actually much happier with the "real reef" look - and I didnt have anything else in the tank but water at the time... LOL

ladyemt

I am hoping to find some good rock pieces I just went to Tonyas and was not impressed with thier selection. But I did buy one piece. Only 19 to go. Hopefully this person I found will have some good pieces and I will be able to get more this weekend. I am so excited I can't wait to get it up and running. As far as the decerations, I was looking at the titanic or sunken battle ship look, Maybe have the rocks around it like it sank into a cavern.