How much more time/money is saltwater compared to fresh?

sinful

I'm getting a 60 gal tank today and can't really make up my mind which way I want to go with it. I really really want it to be saltwater but I just dont think I have the time to learn and manage a saltwater tank. I'll be in college this fall. So my questions to ya'll are...1. Just how much more time is involved with a saltwater setup? 2. Money, how much more will be invested? 3. What exactly will I need to get started with this 60 gal tank(its a hex tank)
If anyone has spare time and willing to fill me in on exactly what I'll need to get this going please do so. Right now I'm about 80% sure I'll be heading in the freshwater direction just because its easier to manage, but the guy I'm getting the tank from has some saltwater stuff cheap I would like to jump on if I decide to go with salt.
Thanks in advance

sinful

ok I might have left some stuff out. I basically will have it a fish only tank I think..if I understand what a fish only tank is. I can still have the live rock and live sand in fish only right? also, the live plants with tenicles or whatever, is that fish only? haha I'm sorry I really have no idea what I'm thinking about getting myself into.

threed240

You could buy a book called "The Conscience Aquarist." By Robert Fenner that would basically tell you everything you need to know about getting started. As far as time, its a daily thing. We at least it is for me. I test my tank everyday, but I am also running a 10gal setup, so my levels change everyday. With a 60gal it would be a little easier as far as maintnence and upkeep. Now, expense wise, its about 3-5x more expensive for saltwater as opposed to fresh. But its all in what you want. I think some freshwater fish are nice, but nothing compared to the beauty of saltwater. All I can say is do alot of research before jumping in. I dont think there is alot that hasn't been coverd on this forum. To start a 60gal properly, will cost you anywhere from $500-$1000 to start up, not counting for the tank and stand. Like I said thats doing it the right way first. If you go cheap, your going to pay more than that in the long run. With fish only, it is alot cheaper. You really don't need a expensive lighting setup. Power compacts would be fine. I would recommend a skimmer, no mater what you choose.

alyssia

I had FW tanks for 10+ years, when I decided to go SW. I thought it couldn't be that much more work than FW. HA HA! It is MUCH more time consuming and much, much more expensive than FW. The expense is mostly to get started though, once you have everything it isn't so bad. It is so much more rewarding than FW though.

opus18

As far as the $ goes... Some folks here came up with a fairly good estimater... $30-$40 / gallon once you hit the 100 gallon mark $20-$30 before that... Mine actually came to $33/gallon... Not including any fish... That's just tank, stand, skimmer, wet/dry, heaters, return pump, power-head, lights, LR & LS... though I think I got reamed on my LR @ $8.50/lb...

sinful

thanks for all the input, I'm just going to stick with freshwater I guess. I just love the colorful fish and world that goes on in saltwater. I'll keep researching saltwater though untill I'm ready to tackle the challenge. What would ya'll recommend for a freshwater tank that resembles salt?

glowplug

Before I decided on salt, I was going to do some german blue rams and rainbows, the blue rams were about the best looking fresh water fish i could find color wise, I really didnt want huge chiclids, the blue ram is a smaller realative with great colors, I would hand pick the specimen because some look way better than others

hardcrab67

There is alot of pretty FW fish, but if you look at doing a community tank you still have to do some research, which you can do mainly at the LFS. Most tanks are marked whether they are aggressive or not. Discus are high maintanance, Angels are aggressive as most cichlids are. Gouramis are nice, some Tetras like the Flames my daughter has with a school of Silver Dollars. My son has Sebae Tetras, Cory Cat, Beta and Gold Mollies. I've had them all pretty much and I'd have to say they just don't compare w/ a Reef, though I still like to watch they're tanks too!