How much salt per gallon?

brokendeck

We are about to do a 20 gallonn water change on our 75 gallon tank. We have the water, but haven't added the salt yet. We have a huge bag of salt and we were wondering if anyone could tell us have much salt you should add per gallon of water or per 5 gallons, etc. Thanks!
Our salt level right now is 1.023, if that makes a difference.

salty blues

Originally Posted by Brokendeck
http:///forum/post/3025214
We are about to do a 20 gallonn water change on our 75 gallon tank. We have the water, but haven't added the salt yet. We have a huge bag of salt and we were wondering if anyone could tell us have much salt you should add per gallon of water or per 5 gallons, etc. Thanks!
Our salt level right now is 1.023, if that makes a difference.
It should state that info somewhere on the bag of salt.
I use IO reef crystals, which mixes at 1/2 cup salt/gallon of water. ymmv.

pezenfuego

Add a few cups and see how much the level jumps...then do some elementary math. If 1 cup makes your tank 1.012 then adding another cup will equal 1.024...
Anyway, fiddling is the best way. If it is too high, add water. If it is too low, add salt. Simple as that

meowzer

1/2 a cup per gallon is standard....Then you can adjust a little if you want your salinity higher

salt210

every manufacturer should have it listed but to be safe use a refractometer to measure it out

salt210

I have gotten to the point to where I add the salt then let it mix then test. go back if neccessary to either add water or salt. dont even go by what the man. says.

meowzer

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3025975
I have gotten to the point to where I add the salt then let it mix then test. go back if neccessary to either add water or salt. dont even go by what the man. says.

+1...I put 1/2 cup per gallon...probably heaping cups too at that....
Then if I need to, I just throw a little more in to raise salinity

bizzmoneyb

i use tropic marin pro reef and 1/2 cup per gallon gets me to about 1.022 so ive gotta use a tad more to get me to my ususal 1.024-1.025.
like they said, start at a 1/2 cup per gallon then check it out with a refractometer and add as necessary.

brokendeck

I checked the salinity and it was at 1.025 with a 1/2 cup per gallon. That was on mixing 20 gallons. Ab to do my first water change in ab a hour. Im getting excited.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3026000
I checked the salinity and it was at 1.025 with a 1/2 cup per gallon. That was on mixing 20 gallons. Ab to do my first water change in ab a hour. Im getting excited.
That excitement will fade...fast

brokendeck

Yea just like everything else. Do I just pour the water in the tank, or is there a certain way I'm suppose to do it?

T

tfolke1

Just pour the 20 gallons in, and then use a shopvac to suck up the 20 gallons that overflowed out of the display.

Sorry, half the company ran off to the Cubs game, and I'm stuck here while they test the new fire alarms. For some reason its put me into a pretty bad mood. They can make me stay, but they can't make me work.
But yeah, basically 20 gallons out, 20 gallons in. Don't forget, it will mix better with the existing water if it is the same temp, and keep your Salinity more stable. If you can add the new water to your sump and let the sump pump it into the display, it will minimize the disturbances to the tank.
I usually am pressed for time and end up just pouring it in the top. Some of my Zoo's usually close up for a while, but I've never had any serious issues doing it that way. Yet

brokendeck

Originally Posted by tfolke1
http:///forum/post/3026025
Just pour the 20 gallons in, and then use a shopvac to suck up the 20 gallons that overflowed out of the display.

Sorry, half the company ran off to the Cubs game, and I'm stuck here while they test the new fire alarms. For some reason its put me into a pretty bad mood. They can make me stay, but they can't make me work.
But yeah, basically 20 gallons out, 20 gallons in. Don't forget, it will mix better with the existing water if it is the same temp, and keep your Salinity more stable. If you can add the new water to your sump and let the sump pump it into the display, it will minimize the disturbances to the tank.
I usually am pressed for time and end up just pouring it in the top. Some of my Zoo's usually close up for a while, but I've never had any serious issues doing it that way. Yet

Okie dokie. I will do it that way. Thanks guys.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3026036
Prolly a pitcher. Whats the best way?
WELL NOT WITH A PITCHER...LOL...I did that my first time 40 gallons with a bucket
...I was tired after
The best way...get yourself a pump (I have a Mag700) and some long hose.
I mix my water in a 32G trash can...I drain my water by putting the pump in my tank, and the hose in my laundy drain.....then I drain out 25-30G's
THEN...I put the pump in the trash can, and the hose in the tank..and fill it back up
time spent 10-15 minutes....time saved...PRICELESS

meowzer

OK...I am a crappy explainer...LOL...BUT you do know the hose is to go onto the pump right?? You can get hose from a hardware store....