How Much Sould LFS Charge for RO Water

1boatnut

I get mine for .25 a gallon.
One factor you should take into consideration if thinking about purchasing your own unit is how much does your water cost? A RO unit uses(wastes)aprox 10-20 gallons down the drain to make 5 gallons of RO water. If your water and sewer charges are like mine,it would take a very long time before purchasing a RO unit would pay off vs just buying it..Just a thought

koolaidman

my store is really quite odd... or maybe the customers just are. I am absolutely the only one who purchases ro water. At first they just gave it to me but i insisted id pay em around 25 cents/gallon. Whats even more F-ed up is that the other customers pay around $3 for their premixed saltwater!

sinner's g

it's .33 at walmart. fill your own gallon. that's what I always used, since we started. first time we filled the 55gl tank...yep, we bought 50gl of water...kept some gallons and I refill for .33
which, I no longer have to do!
My dad got me an ro unit and hooked it up over Christmas!!!
We moved and i'm not longer less than 5 minutes from walmart, if I wanted to keep my tank, I had to get an ro unit. can't beat the price either, FREE!

sinner's g

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
I get mine for .25 a gallon.
One factor you should take into consideration if thinking about purchasing your own unit is how much does your water cost? A RO unit uses(wastes)aprox 10-20 gallons down the drain to make 5 gallons of RO water. If your water and sewer charges are like mine,it would take a very long time before purchasing a RO unit would pay off vs just buying it..Just a thought

however, if you have a garden, you can still use the 'waste' water!! I'm not set up yet, but will be soon. the 'waste' water will just run to my garden. right now, it's just making a mess outside, but I don't really care.
You also have to think about the cost of gas to pick up the water and the time. I bought my own water since setting up the first tank years ago, however, i'm no longer super close to a walmart, so I needed my own water source!

wangotango

Each of mine charge .50/gal. After driving to the LFS, getting 15gal of water and driving back, I could have purchased an RO/DI unit. I finally did and don't know why I waited so long.
-Justin

1boatnut

Originally Posted by Sinner's G
however, if you have a garden, you can still use the 'waste' water!! I'm not set up yet, but will be soon. the 'waste' water will just run to my garden. right now, it's just making a mess outside, but I don't really care.
You also have to think about the cost of gas to pick up the water and the time. I bought my own water since setting up the first tank years ago, however, i'm no longer super close to a walmart, so I needed my own water source!

True,but that has alot to do with your location. I live in Chicago,where it is a balmy 30 degrees right now.The waste water would be just that,waste. My garden would be an ice rink.
As far as the fuel used,I get mine from my local LFS,which I am usually at once a week(or more) anyway,so really no extra fuel is being used! I doubt you ever figured out how much it cost for you to make your own water.Initial cost of the unit,water,filters ....I do realize you are not close to something to purchase the water,but
For my situation,its just cheaper to buy it.......

renogaw

personally, i'd think the lfs could and should charge as much as they feel they need to. lfs near me charges $1/gal i believe
its 30 degrees out here as well, but that's what the sump is for in the basement. It never fills up and all the water goes back into my well.

1boatnut

Originally Posted by renogaw
personally, i'd think the lfs could and should charge as much as they feel they need to. lfs near me charges $1/gal i believe
its 30 degrees out here as well, but that's what the sump is for in the basement. It never fills up and all the water goes back into my well.

Your sump dumps your water back into your well? Interesting.
I used to live on well and septic,and all my water from my sump went either in the septic,or outside to a ditch

renogaw

well, eventually goes back into the well. all the water around the house finds its way back in heh.

sinner's g

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
True,but that has alot to do with your location. I live in Chicago,where it is a balmy 30 degrees right now.The waste water would be just that,waste. My garden would be an ice rink.
As far as the fuel used,I get mine from my local LFS,which I am usually at once a week(or more) anyway,so really no extra fuel is being used! I doubt you ever figured out how much it cost for you to make your own water.Initial cost of the unit,water,filters ....I do realize you are not close to something to purchase the water,but
For my situation,its just cheaper to buy it.......
actually, my dh did figure it out.
and my dad figured out how much water is wasted versus how much water I get.
however, I didn't listen to either of them, because numbers bore me and it really didn't matter. lol. All I knew as I needed water to fill up the 75gl tank. The initial cost of the unit was free.
Dad picked it up for me, was free to him as well. I don't go to fish store regularly. My garden is dead right now, well, sort of, it's not dead, but it's not blooming. I'm in North Louisiana.
for me, the cost of replacing the filters is less than me buying the water. plus, now I have it on hand. no more having to go to walmart because I ran out of water, no more having to find a place to keep gallon jugs of water.
Before, I lived super close to walmart, it wasn't worth it the cost of the ro unit. of course, we didn't pay for water then, so it would have been cheaper to make my own.
I have no problem with people buying, I did up until yesterday. But now I have my own unit and I love it! Course i'm not paying for anything.

And since my hot water heater isn't working, my water bill will still be lower than normal. (I have an 80gl bathtub that I use regularly, currently i don't have enough hot water to fill it so, it's not being used. That will be fixed soon.)