how much to feed the fish

newreeferpa

ne wto the hobby, i was wondering what is the right amount to feed the fish- i have flake food and then frozen shrimp? how do you know if the rock is alive or just coral? mine has purple stuff growing on it.

sickboy

As for food, you should only feed as much as your fish will eat in a minute or so, you do not want excess food in the tank as it will be a source of nutrients that will feed algae and harm water quality.
As for the rock, the purple stuff is most likely coralline algae, which is a good sign, but how long has the tank been setup? Has it cycled? Was it cured when you put it in? Have you had algae spikes yet?

texasmetal

Put in a pinch, wait, watch them eat, when it's all gone repeat until they don't show any more interest in the food.
The rock is "alive" because it's full of small organisms. Some of which you might can see and some you can't see. Most likely you'll see small worms on the surface. After a few months you'll see small feather dusters and probably all sorts of other living things you didn't know were in the tank.

newreeferpa

the tank has been up and running for 4 years- i received it from my brother (hes going to college next year). his lighting was poor so i up graded to a 250 MH with moonlights. is this all i will need? i have 2 clowns, six line wrasse, 2 gobie engineers and a algae eater too many fish or is this okay? i have an anemone (which was white when i bought it, and is currently turning brown- which i hear is a good thing) i have had the tank for 3 weeks now and all the water numbers are normal, not too much algae growth, and everyone seems happy. he bought live rock when he set up the tank but i am not sure if it is still alive- since i got the MH purple stuff has started to grow on the rock. was wondering how oftern i should change water- and how much. there are balls in the sump under the tank how often should i clean those? a filter or two when should i clean those? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanx

texasmetal

How large is the tank? 250 watts is pretty good for anything you would want to keep on a smaller sized tank. The size of the tank is going to determine how many fish/what kind of fish you can keep. It doesn't sound like you're going overboard though.
If you're growing coralline algae (the purple stuff on the rocks) your doing well so far.
As long as the rock has been submerged the entire time it is still alive. Whether or not the corals are, if there were any, is a different story.
I would ditch the bio-balls in the sump and replace them with more live rock and some macro algae.
As for water changes, again, how big is the tank? It's good advice to change 10-20% weekly or bi-weekly.

newreeferpa

sorry the tank is a 36 gallon. would you just remove the balls and leave that space empty? more live rock in the tank and what is the algae- do you buy that and put it in the tank. i do not have a QT, the LFS cures the live rock, would that be okay just to add it to the tank? right now i am checking the nitrate, nitrite, ph and ammonia level (all normal) is there anything else that i should be checking? was thinking about some corals? is the tank too small? sooooooooo many ?s

texasmetal

Originally Posted by newreeferpa
http:///forum/post/2703187
sorry the tank is a 36 gallon. would you just remove the balls and leave that space empty? more live rock in the tank and what is the algae- do you buy that and put it in the tank. i do not have a QT, the LFS cures the live rock, would that be okay just to add it to the tank? right now i am checking the nitrate, nitrite, ph and ammonia level (all normal) is there anything else that i should be checking? was thinking about some corals? is the tank too small? sooooooooo many ?s
Okay, well with 250 watts over a 36 gallon you have enough light to keep most anything.
You could just take the balls out and leave the space, would make for more overall water volume which is a good thing. Adding more live rock down there would just boost your biological filtration that much more and give beneficial organisms a place to proliferate without any predators.
Macro-algae's are larger types of marine algae. Some of them are really pretty and some of them are pretty annoying. Their main purpose in a tank would be nutrient export. They absorb nutrients from the water, helping to maintain good water quality. You just throw a light over it and let it grow, occasionally pruning it when it grows too much. You can find various macro-algae's for sale online. I would avoid Caulerpa as it tends to spread very fast and sometimes dies off, expelling everything it absorbed back into the water. Chaetomorpha is great if you can find some.
As long as the new rock is fully cured it will be fine to add directly to the tank.
Once you're confident in your ability to maintain what you've got right now, you can start adding some hardy corals and get your feel for that. Just take your time and ask lots of questions, like you're doing.
You should check online for a local marine aquarium society in your area. You may be able to find members who will give you some macro algae, cheap coral frags, etc. It's always nice to have someone nearby to help with things in person when you can't get the help you need online.

newreeferpa

if i put live rock in the sump under the tank will i need a light over it as well? if so what kind of light? and how much should i put in?

texasmetal

If you decide to keep some kind of macro algae in there I would add a light, but if just live rock, then you won't need it. A clip-on "work lamp" like you'd see in a mechanic shop is cheap and sufficient.
Just a few pounds.