How much weight do you think a dresser can hold?

55galgill

Title says it all
. i have my 55 gallon reef on there with about 50 pounds of sand, the water, and 30-40 pounds of live rock. Its made of the same particalboard that aquarium stands are made of. Im considering buying more rock to fill it in and its making me worry
. how much do you think it can hold? do any of you guys have your tanks on a dresser or other type of furniture?

1journeyman

Typically a piece of furniture's max weight capacity is about 2 Lbs lighter than what you have on it when you leave for a 2 week vacation...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 55GalGill
http:///forum/post/2487290
Title says it all
. i have my 55 gallon reef on there with about 50 pounds of sand, the water, and 30-40 pounds of live rock. Its made of the same particalboard that aquarium stands are made of. Im considering buying more rock to fill it in and its making me worry
. how much do you think it can hold? do any of you guys have your tanks on a dresser or other type of furniture?
It depends on the piece of furniture. I have had tanks on furniture that didn't seem all that stable, but tank weight is evenly distributed. I do not recommend placing a tank on unstable furniture at all, but I have done it. I have had a 55 on a dresser, but it was not particle board. That being said, I don't understand how some of these stands hold the tanks at all. If the weight is evenly distributed then it seems to be alright.

I would recomend buying a new stand before the LR. I think your dresser may be able to hold it, but its really not worth the risk. Buy a nice stand.
I buy dressers or chest and drawers for my kids every 2-4 yrs cause the particle board just does not hold up. Im through with that crap its time for real wood. Just hope they dont scratch there name in it or something!

just my opinion though.

ibew41

if it is one of the Swedish made that you put together I would not trust it to hold my 10g qt

bird dog

Think safe. If its high bad. (Top heavey) If legs are skinny bad. ( Point Load)
Low soilid w/ good base maybe? Would rather buy or make a stand I trust.
You don't want to hurt a kid climbing up to see.

55galgill

what kills me, is my tank is in my bedroom so i would have to get rid of my dresser. There's no room for it anywhere in the house. Lol the irony is also if i bought the stand, i then wouldnt be able to afford the live rock.

srgvigil

Originally Posted by 55GalGill
http:///forum/post/2487662
what kills me, is my tank is in my bedroom so i would have to get rid of my dresser. There's no room for it anywhere in the house. Lol the irony is also if i bought the stand, i then wouldnt be able to afford the live rock.
That's why I have two jobs :) (im 17 so theyre part time)

55galgill

SrgVigil- Your avatar is awsome, yea i would work two jobs..been there done that. but im in school now and holding good grades so i dont dare mess that up

Bird Dog- Ill post a pic tomorrow as soon as i can get my girlfriends digi camera.
rest of you- thanks for weighing in. when i post the pic let me know what you think.

vayapues

I should not admit this, but I had a 55 g tank on a cheap wal-mart particle board entertainment center. Above my television, my dvd player, stereo, etc. I did reinforce it with additional brackets and braces. As a result, it is the only piece of wal-mart furniture I still own. All the rest has fallen apart, but my efforts to reinforce it have made that one last.
I would never, ever do that now that I am older and wiser, but there you go.

55galgill

Originally Posted by vayapues
http:///forum/post/2488255
I should not admit this, but I had a 55 g tank on a cheap wal-mart particle board entertainment center. Above my television, my dvd player, stereo, etc. I did reinforce it with additional brackets and braces. As a result, it is the only piece of wal-mart furniture I still own. All the rest has fallen apart, but my efforts to reinforce it have made that one last.
I would never, ever do that now that I am older and wiser, but there you go.
how much weight did you have in there?
on a side note, IF i "did" buy a stand do you think i could get a bigger stand ,like say for a 6 foot tank and keep my 55 gallon on top of that? that way when i upgrade in the foreseeable future i dont have to spend the $$$

vayapues

It was a FW tank, so no live rock or anything. Just gravel, a few live plants, and water. But I would never do this again. Had something gone wrong, I would have lost my fish, my tank, and also all my electronics.
As far as buying a larger size stand, you could do this, but you would probably have to place a piece of plywood on the top of the stand. Other than that, I don't see a problem.

B

bonita69

My son has a 45 with stand in his room. To give him space I put his dresser in his closet.
Can you fit your dresser in there? Of course if your anything like my son he had to clean out the junk!!

55galgill

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2489366
My son has a 45 with stand in his room. To give him space I put his dresser in his closet.
Can you fit your dresser in there? Of course if your anything like my son he had to clean out the junk!!

I wish i had that kind of room!