How much would it cost to set up a 10-15 gallon mini reef?

O

olim

i spent bout 500-600 on my 20gal tank including fish,corals,ect...

kelly

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. I got a 7gal bowfront for about $40, this included the hood. I bought a retrofit light kit for about $53, sand for $20, and rock for $1 per pound, added 13#. So far, $126.00. I have a used hang on filter, but you could get a cheap one for about $20.00. Tank has not finished cycle, so roughly $150.00
Now when you add corals or LR, that is where the money comes in. If you have a source for cheap corals or another tank, it won't be too bad. I have purchased frags for about $15 each from a guy in Cleveland, almost 2 hrs away, so if I added 8 frags, the total cost would run around $270 + tax.
Just rough numbers, prices will vary depending on what you buy and local prices.

queequegbls

for a 10 gal you might consider getting a 32W Smartlight Retrofit for your lighting. This should be enough for low light corals like mushrooms and polyps. I have a 7G nano and the only filtration i have is my 12 lbs LR and 10 lbs LS. With weekly water changes of 10 to 15 percent, the tank filters itself. Get a good cleaner crew. I have 3 scarlet hermits, 7 astrea snails, and a sally lightfoot crab (eats all the hair algae, its great.) Good starter corals are shrrooms, polyps, leathers, and maybe an open brain.

k.lee

Leather corals and mushroom rock are good starters imo
But you must have bright lights and maintain water quality. Granted the lightimg for above species is less than that of anemone's are hard corals, but must be sufficient. 3 watts per gallon maybe?