how much would it cost?????

clyde:)

how much would it cost in all for a seahorse tank not sure what kind of seahorse(probably dwarf) and what kind of tank????

well i just need to know what tanks dwarf seahorses like best as far as lighting filteration etc.......any advise would be appreciated

monalisa

Originally Posted by clyde:)
well i just need to know what tanks dwarf seahorses like best as far as lighting filteration etc.......any advise would be appreciated
Do you have any experience with saltwater keeping? Dwarf seahorses are quite difficult to keep because of their size and their dietary requirements (live food).
I would suggest that you post what your current saltwater keeping experience is so that the good people on this site can help direct you towards the best way to proceed.
Good luck to you!!
Lisa

well i plan to have two of them going by january 10th one 24 gallon aquapod and one seahorse tank,and no i havent had any experience but i really want a seahorse tank and im not quite sure it will be dwarfs but as i said before i really want a seahorse tank so what is the easiest seahorse(s)and what tank,food, etc. . .anyway mona lisa where are you from in wisconsin??i lived in brillion about an hour and a half from milwakee and thirty minutes from green bay

teresaq

Dwarfs are def not a beginners horse. Erectus are about the easiest, but require a 35 to 40 gal tall tank. Horses must have perfact water conditions as well as lower temps. 72 to 77 degrees with low to med flow through out the tank. They are pron to bacterial infections, and must be feed two to three times a day. You cannot have any thing in the tank that will sting. tank should be cycled and running no less them 4 to 5 mo before adding any horse. You really need to research thier care, including how to treat them in case of illness. If you are going to pay 50 to 100 dollars for a horse, you really need to know how to take care of them.
Only buy CB (captive breed) eating frozen. They eat frozen mysis. BBS are not healthy for larger horses. They need place to hitch and also places to swim and hunt. Pods are good, so are macros. Hydroids, and stinging corals are not.
Not trying to be harsh, but you really need to start with one tank, and leave the horse for 6 mo or more down the road. Reasearch first.
TeresaQ

mcbdz

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Dwarfs are def not a beginners horse. Erectus are about the easiest, but require a 35 to 40 gal tall tank. Horses must have perfact water conditions as well as lower temps. 72 to 77 degrees with low to med flow through out the tank. They are pron to bacterial infections, and must be feed two to three times a day. You cannot have any thing in the tank that will sting. tank should be cycled and running no less them 4 to 5 mo before adding any horse. You really need to research thier care, including how to treat them in case of illness. If you are going to pay 50 to 100 dollars for a horse, you really need to know how to take care of them.
Only buy CB (captive breed) eating frozen. They eat frozen mysis. BBS are not healthy for larger horses. They need place to hitch and also places to swim and hunt. Pods are good, so are macros. Hydroids, and stinging corals are not.
Not trying to be harsh, but you really need to start with one tank, and leave the horse for 6 mo or more down the road. Reasearch first.
TeresaQ

I agree with Teresa.
You could go ahead and set up the tanks, and let it cycle and mature during this time while you learn about the saltwater world with the other tank.
You want to learn how to handle the water quality and easier animals with your other tank, the experiance will help you with taking care of the horses. During this time do your research on the horses and decide on what kind and keep that tank stable through this whole period. You can also place the clean up crew during this time and give it lots of time to mature. Go for a tall tank for the horses. Good luck and have fun. This will get expensive, so if money is an issue you will learn that soon. Also go to seahorse dot org for reseach. You'll learn a lot there and read about what is going on with people that have different horses and what it takes with each kind.

monalisa

Originally Posted by zeke92
dwarves won't be too expensive...
They will be with losing little lives for lack of research and set up and experience...very expensive, in many ways.
Lisa

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
They will be with losing little lives for lack of research and set up and experience...very expensive, in many ways.
Lisa
I'll second that, horse tanks need a lot of time and attention.

zeke92

yes, but dwarves won't cost too awful much is what i am saying.
but yes, lots of attention and time. and RESEARCH *queue fireworks in background*