How Should I do this?

hedgehog123

Eventually, I am going to set up a seahorse and pipe fish tank. It will also be a reef tank (but no stinging coral of course!) and I need your opinion on some things:
Are all species of pipe fish and seahorse compatible or are there certain ones that I cant mix?
If I have 2 of the same kind will I be constantly overwhelmed with babies?
How much circulation exactly do they need and what should I use?
As far as filtration goes, would a protein skimmer and sump be enough?
What other slow moving and peaceful fish can I keep with them?
Some gobbies like mandarin? I know clownfish aren't really slow, but since this tank is large is it ok?
How many seahorses and pipe fish could I happily house here? I would like more seahorses than pipe fish.
Can I only feed them twice a day or would they need more like 3 times a day?
I'm just trying to clearify research before I jump right in.
Any and all answers are appreciated!

hedgehog123

I thought I said how big it was? Oh well, it will be 90 gallon and hexagonal. I hope, I found a tank for sale like this, but I want to finish research before I get it and I hope they don't sell it!!!

hedgehog123

I just found a boston bean cowfish online and it is sooooo cute and its reef safe. The description said its slow and small and does best with other peaceful and slow fish! What do you think about keeping one with seahorses?

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog123 http:///t/391774/how-should-i-do-this#post_3476207
Eventually, I am going to set up a seahorse and pipe fish tank. It will also be a reef tank (but no stinging coral of course!) and I need your opinion on some things:
Are all species of pipe fish and seahorse compatible or are there certain ones that I cant mix?
As a general rule, especially for beginners, you shouldn't mix pipes with horses at all. This is due to the diseases present in wild caught pipes contaminating the captive bred horses you will want to be buying, as well as the dedicated feeding requirements of pipes. Many people (myself included) have tried and failed at keeping pipes and horses together, and until recently the consensus has been "Don't." In the past year or so we've seen an increase in captive bred pipes that can be kept with your horses, but many of these are nano species that are easily "lost" in the background of a big tank.
If I have 2 of the same kind will I be constantly overwhelmed with babies?
You shouldn't mix species. If you're concerned about babies, you can keep a small herd of females only. Otherwise yes, you will most likely be inundated with babies.
How much circulation exactly do they need and what should I use?
This depends on the tank parameters. Horses can handle "high flow," such as the sort of flow you might find in a soft coral or LPS tank, but need to have quiet zones where they can go to hang out.
As far as filtration goes, would a protein skimmer and sump be enough?
A sumped tank with a good quality skimmer is an excellent form of filtration. A filter sock or some kind of mechanical filter foam in the sump is well-recommended.
What other slow moving and peaceful fish can I keep with them?
Some gobies like mandarin? I know clownfish aren't really slow, but since this tank is large is it ok?
There is an excellent list of safe and non-safe fish stickied at the top of this forum. You mentioned a large hex tank...and you're talking sump...so a Mandarin would be good (look for the new ORA raised mandarins). I personally don't think clownfish should be in a horse tank, but that's my opinion. Check out the tankmates link here.
How many seahorses and pipe fish could I happily house here? I would like more seahorses than pipe fish.
A 90 gallon tank can handle many horses, provided your maintenance and filtration is up to par. I would think that 2 pairs of horses would be a good starting point, with the possible addition of another 2 pair after your feet are wet.
Can I only feed them twice a day or would they need more like 3 times a day?
Twice a day is fine.
I'm just trying to clearify research before I jump right in.
Any and all answers are appreciated!
Welcome to the site! I'm sorry, you have sort of caught us all at a slow period, considering the lack of posts by the regulars among us here. Don't know why....maybe we're all in summer mode, LOL.
I have done my best to answer most of your questions up above. I can't stress enough how important it is to read through the sticky notes at the top of our forum page....many of these questions have been addressed before, and are permanently on file up there.
As for your boston bean cowfish. It's cute, but NOT recommended for a horse tank....mainly because of the possibility that any boxfish has of nuking the entire tank. IMO it's not worth the risk to the horses. There are a few boxfish I would love to keep, but I think a species-only environment is the best option for these little guys.

hedgehog123

Thank you! I think that'm stll going to have a 90 gallon, but that will be a reef tank not a reef and seahorse tank. Once that is up and running I plan to get a 60 gallon seahorse only tank where they will have a sufficient size tank and I won't need to worry about tank mates or the pretty corals I would ve tempted to that would kill the seahorses.
Thanks again and you were right the sticky notes really do help!