How strong are my lights?

newsalt16

I have 260w worth of lights over my 54g reef. Thats almost 5w per gallon so is that considered stong or medium lighting. i just want to know so i can be sure that what i put in their has suffienct light! thank you for any help!

reefkprz

260W I'm going to guess you mean PC, they are medium. (if you mean with m halide thats another story) its not just all about watts its about intensity, par rating if you please. you can keep just about any softie or LPS with that lighting. (there are a lot of variables their such as depth of tank and so on) but I would say medium. you would be very limeted on any SPS maybe a monti cap or something similar.

newsalt16

Thanks for the reply! Yes there are pc. Im sorry i dont know what LPS means. And by softies does that mean like anemones, frogspawn and the like? Sorry i dont know all these terms. Thanks for your help

reefkprz

softies would be soft corals (xenia, zoanthids,mushroom etc.) LPS mean large polyp stony corals (frogspawn, torch, trumpet, etc.) SPS means small polyp stony corals (motipora digitata, monti capricornis and other hard corals)
Anemones require HIgh light just like SPS IMO medium light doesnt work out long term for them.