How to add a refugium.

windlasher

OK, I want to add a refugium.
The system as is, is about 500 Gals. A 220, a 90, and a 80 that all drain into a 100 gal sump.
Can I essentially create a refugium by adding a 20 gal tank next to the sump, filling it with rock and algae with a pump from the sump and have it drain back into the sump or do I need to get more complicated?
Thanks

salt life

Originally Posted by windlasher
http:///forum/post/3096801
OK, I want to add a refugium.
The system as is, is about 500 Gals. A 220, a 90, and a 80 that all drain into a 100 gal sump.
Can I essentially create a refugium by adding a 20 gal tank next to the sump, filling it with rock and algae with a pump from the sump and have it drain back into the sump or do I need to get more complicated?
Thanks
just add another tank in like you have all your other ones hooked up, you can put a small pump in your sump to feed the fuge then on the drain put a ball valve to adjust the flow.

aquaknight

Can definitely be that easy. Just a pump from the sump into the fuge, and have the fuge drain back into the sump.
. Definitely DON'T put the ball valve on the drain, but on the pump line into the refugium, if you want one at all anyways. The pump doesn't have to be big at all. For a 20gal, a 100gph pump is all you need, however you will need some better flow inside the fuge, an extra powerhead or two.

R

rcreations

How do you drain the fuge back into the sump? Did you drill a hole in the fuge tank?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3097695
How do you drain the fuge back into the sump? Did you drill a hole in the fuge tank?
Indeed, the pvc for the drain is even with the elbows on the phosban reactor in my pic. Drilled the fuge tank to accept a 1" bulkhead (directly under the clip-on light). 1" T with egg crate ziptied in to prevent crap from going into the sump. The feed line is the clear tube over top.
Note about that, don't copy it. When the power goes off, the line will back-siphon until the fuge water level and the sump water level are even. Make sure the feed line is above the water level in the fuge and the water 'pours' in. I had some mopping to do once