How to add live rock to a cycled tank?

uvmfish

This new forum is great! My tank has been up about five months now and is doing great! I went through a few poblems in the beginning but all is fine now. As the subject shows, I want to add more live rock to my tank since I have so little. Any suggestions as to go about it without hurting my fish/inverts? How much can I add at a time? (I can only afford about 20lbs max at a time) Also on a similar topic, does adding live sand cause problems to a cycled tank? Any advice would be great!

fshhub

no, normally adding ls will not affect the tank, but with any substrate, i would not add more than 1/4 of an inch at a time
as for the lr, add only small amounts of cured(well cured) lr at a time, buy it locally or cure it yourself before adding it to the tank, to make sure you have no die off in the tank, but outside the tank or in yiour lfs, then you can just add it directly to your tank(just please be sure it is well cured and minimal travel to your tank)

uvmfish

When I buy my live rock it will most likely be from this site since the cheapest here is $8/lb! I understand that in shipping I will have some die off. If I cure it myself in a cheap 10 gal agauarium is a heater the only thing I need or do I also need a filtering system on the curing tank? How long should it cure for? Should I have lighting on the curing tank? Sorry for all the questions!

frankl15207

If you are going to cure it yourself, or at least isolate it until you know it is safe, you need to add circulation via a powerhead (the more powerheads and stronger the current the better).
If it is not completely cured, you also need to add a protein skimmer to remove the pullution from the die off.
I have read lights off and lights on during the curing process. At a minimum, I have always at used at least actinic lighting during the process.
Lack of light will kill some of the bad things on the rock, but along with that, I feel that some of the good things will die too.

ruaround

When you cure LR all you basically need is, a tank of some sort, may it be a trash can, a rubbermaid storage container, or an aquarium...etc. etc. A powerhead to keep the water moving and 3 to 5 days. There isnt any need for lighting.

I used a small sea through trash can to cure my LR. I just had some 'aged seawater' and put that in the trash. Then i added 2, 1200 power heads, then i just added the LR, waited a week(just to make sure everything was ok) and checked my water on a daily bassis(which nobody siad to do), and after a week and the water was fine, i just put it smack dab in the tank. It's really important to cure LR becuase there is a lot of harmful things on them sometimes. I hope i helped...And this new forum :D

uvmfish

Thanks for the advice everyone... looks like a new powerhead is in order! I need another for my tank anyway. :)

wamp

Boy, I know I'm gonna hear it for this one..
I added LR that I ordered straight to the tank as soon as it came in. Orderd cured and trusted it. Now.. I am in no way advising you to do the same unless you like a risk. I just bumped up my water changes a little and kept an eye open!
If you have a good amount of LR in your tank and only add a piece at a time you should be fine. When dumping 20lbs at a time I would suggest at least letting it set in a 10gal for a couple of days to check for signs of un-cured rock.
Good Luck and Have fun..... :)

lnarobbins

I did the same thing wamp. I got 20lbs from SWF.com and when it came I dumped it in. nothing died and I lucked out. I wated a week for the stuff and just could not wait.
not good advice though when I get some more I will add alittle at a time over a couple of days
Alan

J

jwhcrystalforsale

Acheter Glock 19 Gen 3 ZEV Hex en ligne

Glock 17 Gen 4 Gris Complet
Glock 17 MOS Vortex Vipère
Glock 19 Gen 3 ZEV Hex
Glock 19 Gen 4 FDE
Glock 19 Gen 4 Gris

Glock 19X

Pistolet Glock 21 Gen 4 Full Grey

Glock 23 Gen 4 for sale
Champ de bataille vert

Pistolet Glock 29 Gen 4
glock 29 gen 4 for sale online

Chicken feet for sale brazil chicken feet for sale,Chicken feet for sale,buy chicken feet,frozen chicken paw for sale,order chicken feet,
Buy Frozen Chicken Paws online cheap , Order grade a halal brazilian chicken paws for sale, order frozen chicken online, Halal frozen chicken for sale online
JWH018 CRYSTALS for sale ONLINE, JWH021 CRYSTALS for sale ONLINE, MCPEP POWDER for sale, MDPOP HCL POWDER for sale, Buy MFPEP CRYSTALS ONLINE, NDH CRYSTALS FOR SALE, NEH(HEX) for sale, SGT-151 for sale, SGT-263 For Sale ONLINE, SGT-78 POWDER for sale, CRYSTAL METH FOR SALE,
Buy JWH-018 Powder Online
Order JHW Powder for Sale JWH-018
Buy JWH-018 online,

Order JWH-018,
The Eternal Oath Of The Illuminati | Illuminati members, Money Is The Route To All Freedom, Join Official Illuminati World, Money is not the root of all evil,
HOW TO JOIN ILLUMINATI, How to Join Illuminati, Benefits of joining the Illuminati, Illuminati Money,
Power of the Illuminati, The Illuminati’s purpose, Purpose of Illuminati , Join the illuminati brotherhoods, How to know the purpose of illuminati new world order to mankind.

Official Illuminati website online

Percocet | Buy Percocet Online | Cheap Percocet for sale |
Roxicodone 30mg | Buy Roxicodone 30mg Online | Cheap Roxicodone 30mg for sale
Oxycontin | Buy Oxycontin Online | Cheap Oxycontin 80mg for sale |
3-fpm crystal | Buy 3-fpm crystal online | Cheap 3-fpm crystal for sale | 3-fpm crystal supply near me
RED BULL ENERGY DRINK 250ML X 24 CANS Buy Red Bull Energy Drinks | Order Red Bull cheap | Red Bull Energy drinks for sale
Buy Grade A Frozen Chicken Feet, Buy Fresh Brown Table Eggs, Buy Chicken Gizzard Webste, Buy Grade A Frozen Chicken Feet, Buy Chicken Mortadella (Ground Meat), Buy Grade A Chicken Paw, Buy Halal Frozen Chicken Breast, Buy Frozen Chicken Drumsticks,
Buy Backwood cigars online, backwoods vanilla for sale | Order online Backwood smoking cigars