how to catch 4 stripe damsel

clarkiiboi

Been there with 4 damsels in a 75 and had to remove all the rock. In that 125 its gonna be a battle. If you dont have alot of LR then try to remove it and then catch. Other options are have the net in place, feed and try to get it, or try at night if its out in the open. I tell ya are very quick to learn, and then avoid the net. Good luck.

ex82nd

i had a blue one and had to empty my tank. Tried for weeks to leave net in water but still no luck.So out came the rock.

jstrong

thanks i'll try taking the rock out. i was thinking about trying to harpoon it, but i doubt that will work.

J

jenmca

I have caught a yellow-tail with help. They spoke when you lay your hand flat on the glass, so I do that and husband nets it when it swims out.

marco

cut the top off a coke bottle just were it starts to get fat and invert it inside the rest of the bottle. put some food it there and place it the tank on its side. sit back and watch, I caught four fish this way. I used a bottle with a larger mouth(grapefruit juice), it seems to work better.

marco333

try feeding them, and when they come to the surface of the water to feed, swop the net down and catch them!

seesponge

Use the bottle trick. I had a yellow tail who harassed the h*&& out of my new clown fish. I did the same post and tried this. Five minutes after the lights went out the little bas%&*#$ was doing the tolet flush. Good Luck!

jpribelin

i just used a bag that my fish come in, put a little bit of food at the very end and used a pice of rock to hold it open, my yellow tailed damsel finally went in after looking at it for 30 min. just keept my hand near and when he went in he went ALL the way in and scooped him up :)

nicenakago

Some great ideas here...
You can also try building a divider out of 2 peices of plexi-glass. make a 90 degree "L" with them when the fish is in the front corner (lure with food or scare with net) lower the divider to form a complete box using the other two edges of the front corner of the tank.slowl pull the divider up with the fish in it. = 1 captured fish.

crabbie

Next time use a standard dry fly hook #20- #28 with a small chunk of squid on it, worked in seconds for me. You might want to pinch the barb on the hook with a pliers so the fish comes off easier.

My husband wanted to harpoon it as you suggested:D We tried the old bait and catch(didn't work)....we got a wet dry shop vac and tried to suck her out while she was asleep:eek: When we finally got her out.
LOLOL Your SO funny!!!
I dismanteled my 75g with 80 lbs of rock to catch that damn domino damsel.. THEN stupid ME didnt get the 2 4 striped out on the same day AND had to do it again TODAY!! Grrrrrr i could have just smashed him too.. BUT he went into my QT and off to the LFS tommorrow! LOL
I feel your frustration!
Kim