how to catch a pistol shrimp?

hunt

where is it in the tank(in or under LR)
EDIT:nvm, i just looked back and you already posted this, you said it was underneath the rock, is the rock too big, or can tou lift it up and scoop the shrimp out?

speg

In my experience with pistol shrimp the only thing you can do is rip every bit of rock out of the tank to get them..
My story..
I couldn't stand the popping anymore..
Took every bit of rock out of my bowfront tank..
Found out that there was one big pistol shrimp that I caught and 4-5 little tiny pistol shrimp..
I remember actually feeling sympathy for the pistol shrimp because it was HIS home that I was moving around.. and I placed him back into the tank.
I took out 100+ lbs of rock for nothing :)
That story really has nothing to do with your situation I guess... except.. dontcha feel bad for wantin to take him from his home?

hunt

think of it this way, an aiptasia anenome is an animal, but when you get rid, you dont only take its home, you take its life. But we do it anyways. But then again, pistol shrimp dont reproduce lightning fast, maybe you could get a shrimpgoby and they would pair up

speg

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3240719
think of it this way, an aiptasia anenome is an animal, but when you get rid, you dont only take its home, you take its life. But we do it anyways. But then again, pistol shrimp dont reproduce lightning fast, maybe you could get a shrimpgoby and they would pair up
Yeah but... Aptasia = Flea.
and.......... pistol shrimp = kitty cat.
One isn't as bad as the other to 'eliminate'.

mrdc

What kind of pistol shrimp is it? Not that it will change how to remove it but just wondering why you want to remove it. I live my tiger that teamed up with my shrimp goby but I couldn't stnad my carribean pistol shrimp. He was a terror especially when I fed. I got lucky and caught him out one night and was able to capture him. You could look under my tank and see the tiger shrimps in his tunnels. I thought it was pretty cool. The popping can become annoying but the carribean is the one that was making so much nosie.

evanjah

my whoel reason for wanting him out is the constant sandstorms. He burroes under my rock which makes it topple and he eats cleaner shrimp so i cant have any shrimp. Really irritating. I dont wanna kill him, just bannish him to the sump

speg

Originally Posted by evanjah
http:///forum/post/3240964
my whoel reason for wanting him out is the constant sandstorms. He burroes under my rock which makes it topple and he eats cleaner shrimp so i cant have any shrimp. Really irritating. I dont wanna kill him, just bannish him to the sump
One thing that everybody needs to do in saltwater because of the stuff that burrows in the sand is place the rock right on the glass bottom before sand is added.
Secondly, I really doubt he is killing your cleaner shrimp.. he may be eating it after they're already dead.. but I'd suspect that something else is killing them.

speg

What a weird video. There ya go. I guess it does happen. Is that the kind of pistol you have?

evanjah

no but my pistol shrimp mysteriously disappear, however one peppermint shrimp still remails i guess it possible that he doesnt eat them. Ive never actually seen it

speg

Well from the video, I'd say it's possible either way. I used to have pepperment, skunk, and blood shrimp all together with a pistol. Usually the most the pistol would do would be snap at hermit crabs that got close to its borrows.
You've proved to me that it can happen though. Maybe the sump isn't a bad place for the guy.

mrdc

I couldn't imagine my tiger ever hurting anything but he was a digger. All my rock is on the bottom glass so he couldn't topple over anything. Now the carribean wasn't really a digger but it would find all the crushed coral I never got out when I made the sand conversion and he would build a kick butt cave. He would also venture out at night like a cleaner shrimp and would go all over the tank. I don't know what problems he was causing but he would pop like a mad creature from the deep at night.