How to Cure Aragonite Sand? (Bang?)

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
I think this is mainly Bang's theorem and specialities, but if anyone could contribute would be very grateful!
I am getting 100lbs of 'dead' aragonite sand, now i know i need to do something like put it in a rubbermaid with some water, heater and powerhead for about a month and feed some food? Does it have to be for a month?
Thanks guys!
Tim.

bang guy

First some questions...
Are you adding this to an established tank? What size tank, what's there now?
You won't need the heater.

timsedwards

Hi Bang thanks for the help.
I currently have about 80lbs of sand in my tank that is 30lbs live and the rest was gravel that really shouldnt be in a tank, hence the change over. The tank is established for 8 months plus.
my tank is 70g, a 4 foot bow tank.
Im going to add 100lbs of aragonite and 20lbs of my existing live sand.
Thanks for the help,
Tim.

bang guy

So... the plan is to remove the existing substrate & then add the 100 pounds of dead sand and add back the existing live sand?
That makes things difficult.
You're going to need a good sized container like a rubbermaid storage box. I don't know if you have those over there. basically a container about 3 feet long to hold the sand. It'll only take about a week. You'll need old tank water so do a water change. I like to add the sand to the water but it doesn't really matter that much. Keep the sand in the container barely covered with water. Feed it every couple of days (fish food) and stir it every day. After about a week there will be a bacterial coating on the sand grains. This will prevent Calcium from precipitating onto the sand grains and will allow the sand to settle in a day or so instead of a week.

timsedwards

Yup basically I will remove all of the existing sand (including the sand i want), but keep 20lbs of the good live sand (as much as I can get without the rubbish gravel stuff anyway) then add that too the cured aragonite then add all of that to the tank.
I can use a 10gallon rubbermaid thing, will that do?
Only a week and not 4 weeks?
I presume I dont need a powerhead/heater?
Thanks!
Tim.

bang guy

You don't want the sand to be too deep or you won't be able to stir it very well. Perhaps two or three 10 gallon rubbermaids??

timsedwards

ahhh right i see, i guess i will just have to go to the hardware store and find something suitable.
so no heater/powerheads needed? how come only a week is needed? I thought it needed 4 weeks or so...?
Tim.

bang guy

You just need to grow enough bacteria to coat the sand grains. They grow fast. Be sure to use old tank water though and some of the live sand mixed in could help a little.

timsedwards

sounds good, thanks for the help bang!
When it comes to removing the sand....would you empty tank of water bar 10% to do it?
Tim.

bang guy

"tank of water bar" didn't travel for me.
I would definately remove some water probably a LOT and store it in a container to put back in. That will cut down on splashing as you scoop it out. It's going to be a mess so be prepared for that. The more water you take out & store the better off the tank will be. The water you return to the tank will be clean ;)

timsedwards

sorry i think that was an english phrase, bar means 'except'.
But you pretty much answered my query!
Cheers!
Tim.