How to cycle your tank

reefer man

Im new to this but, how do you cycle your tank? I understand some of it but all of this is new to me. By the way i hope to get a tank within a few weeks.

magickyl

First add your saltwater, then add the substrate ( may take a few days for the tank to clear) , add your LR. Drop a dead shrimp into the tank ( this will start the cycle). You will get a spike of ammonia and you know the cycle has started.
You could use a damsel to cycle the tank, but this is cruel IMO. Let your filters and powerheads run and check your levels every couple of days to see where you are in the cycle.
When you have the tank cycled you are ready to add your clean up crew. I would wait 2-3 weeks before adding any livestock.... But remember. Go slow. Add 1 fish at a time and wait 2-3 weeks to add another fish. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

newfishguy

Do you really need to add a dead shrimp? Explain exactly what you mean by a dead shrimp. A piece of shrimp from the store?? I thought just by adding rock and sand that would be good enough to start the cycle. So, after the tank cycles add a cleanup crew and them wait two weeks to add any fish?
Originally Posted by magickyl
First add your saltwater, then add the substrate ( may take a few days for the tank to clear) , add your LR. Drop a dead shrimp into the tank ( this will start the cycle). You will get a spike of ammonia and you know the cycle has started.
You could use a damsel to cycle the tank, but this is cruel IMO. Let your filters and powerheads run and check your levels every couple of days to see where you are in the cycle.
When you have the tank cycled you are ready to add your clean up crew. I would wait 2-3 weeks before adding any livestock.... But remember. Go slow. Add 1 fish at a time and wait 2-3 weeks to add another fish. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

rivrat

If using uncured Live Rock no need for shrimp. The die off on the rock will be plenty to start your cycle. That's how I've done it for both my tanks and the cycles were pushed to the max.
rivrat

newfishguy

I'm curing my lr beforehand in a rubbermaid trash can. So, do I need a piece of shrimp to start the cycle then?
Originally Posted by rivrat
If using uncured Live Rock no need for shrimp. The die off on the rock will be plenty to start your cycle. That's how I've done it for both my tanks and the cycles were pushed to the max.
rivrat

newfishguy

Cooked? Shouldn't it be uncooked? Do I take it out after the cycle is complete or will it dissolve in the tank?
Originally Posted by jjlittle
A cooked cocktail shimp works well I did not use it I just added LS & LR and let go by itself.

hot883

Some ppl do not use damsels or raw shrimp. If you have LR and LS then it can and will cycle by itself just monitor the parameters. If you get LR shipped to you then the die off will kick start the cycle. If you are curing it in a rubbermaid container, just as good, but may take alittle longer for the cycle to complete. Main thing to remember in this hobby though is GO SLOW. Never rush anything especially adding fish as magic said. Good luck, welcome to the boards and congrats. ahead of time for doing it right the first time. You are actually asking questions BEFORE.

tankgirl1

and congrats. ahead of time for doing it right the first time. You are actually asking questions BEFORE.
That's why I am starting over
. I was over-eager with my first tank. I now have 4; 3 that I am just starting. With my new 72 I will begin cycling this weekend. Has anyone ever used existing tank water and LR/LS to cycle a new tank? If so, is this problematic for the new tank and the new LS/LR? If using this method to begin cycling, should I put a clean up crew in earlier? Thanks for the help!

hot883

Originally Posted by tankgirl1
That's why I am starting over *sigh*. I was over-eager with my first tank. I now have 4; 3 that I am just starting. With my new 72 I will begin cycling this weekend. Has anyone ever used existing tank water and LR/LS to cycle a new tank? If so, is this problematic for the new tank and the new LS/LR? If using this method to begin cycling, should I put a clean up crew in earlier? Thanks for the help!

I actually added some water from an existing tank, LS and LR all at the same time to my new tank. No ill effects and had a complete easy cycle that was successful.

tankgirl1

to grow a strong purple coralline algae (purple, green and red rock growth) you must have the necessary lighting consisting of 4watts per gallon of water as a rule of thumb and necessary trace elements of Iodine, Strontium, Molybdenum and liquid Calcium! These are the big trick all the true reef and saltwater hobbyists growing extremely beautiful live rock are doing and understand! These items are a must and should be added to all new live rock and they must be kept up on a regular basis!
I read this today...is this true? During the cycling process, is it necessary to add these elements to your LR?

hot883

Originally Posted by tankgirl1
I read this today...is this true? During the cycling process, is it necessary to add these elements to your LR?
Tankgirl, here are a couple of shots of some of my LR. I have regular lighting and ADD NOTHING to achieve this. Any rock that is added, seems to get this corraline started on it no problem.

birdy

Water changes, good flow, and correct lighting is usually enough for good coralline growth.
Adding trace elements and anything you can not directly or easily test for is asking for disastaer IMO.
I do recommend testing for Ca and alk and dosing the proper chemicals to keep those levels correct.