how to dose kalkewasser?

txstud3231

ok, i have made a batch of kalkwasser in a gallon container but i dont understand how you use it as far as adding it to your tank. do i just throw the whole thing in there or what. the amount i bought said that it made 50 gallons. but i didnt think i use the whole thing. anyways, can someone help me please

alf3482

Drip slowly as suggested. Also you should only drip the the clear center of the mix so make sure you do not pull the settlement from the bottom of the drip devise. You can make one with an IV drip rig. I noticed your in Dallas. I have three 2- 7 gal and 1- 5 gal drip con't for sale if you need one. $10.00 each.

S

sinner's girl

i always made a gl for a week, during the week i would add some to the tank, about a shot or two whenever i thought about it. not the best way i guess...but never had any problems with it...when i started adding it i didn't know about dripping it...

alf3482

Originally posted by anthem
Just FYI - kalkwasser is only good for a few hours. At most half a day. After that the CO2 just reacts with it to form calcium carbonate. So making anything more than a day's worth is not beneficial. . . .
Ed

Well I have to disagree with that statement. I make 5 days at a time. As long as you keep the con't sealed from co2 exposer there is no loss. After 5 days My kalk still carries Alk at 19DKH and 600ppm CA. I make 44 gals at a time. The key is having it sealed from exposer to air.;)

S

sinner's girl

"Just FYI - kalkwasser is only good for a few hours. At most half a day" say what?!?!?
on the container it says it'll last a week...i've always heard on here to make enough to last a week...
where are you getting your info from???

alf3482

Sinner's Girl,
The statement is somewhat correct but not entirely. If you leave the mixture exposed to air it will depleat the Alk part of the kalk solution as well as some CA. It reacts to exposer to CO2 in the air. BUt if the con't is kept air tight it will last a lot longer. With no loss of CA or Alk. HTH

S

sandy

Ummm... throwing out the one gal mix I made yesterday, for today, bus is not sealed (sigh)...
but anthem... the mix says to let the water settle for several hours... I assume then that one would let it settle in a air-tight container, then remove the clear middle fluid for dispensing (drip) and use THAT also within a few hours if exposed to air?
Am I making sense? The above is actually a question about "using the mix within a few hours".

alf3482

the mix says to let the water settle for several hours... I assume then that one would let it settle in a air-tight container, then remove the clear middle fluid for dispensing (drip) and use THAT also within a few hours if exposed to air?
Correct. You will find that settle out time may very from person to person. I my self allow 24 hr before use. I know others that only allow a few hours. HTH