how to feed a snowflake

craig110768

I just bought a snowflake eel. I also bought some long plastic tong to feed him.
How often should I be feeding him. I tried using krill last night, but over time I released the food it rose to the surface away from the eel. I tried just holding the krill so it wouldn't float to the surface, in case it wanted to take a bite - he has not yet.
Any ideas?
Craig

jumpfrog

You may want to try a skewer (wooden shishkabobs) as well. The tongs may be a bit intimidating. It's not unusual for mine to go a period of several days with no interest in food. Don't sweat it for now and Good Luck!

S

simm

It took my SFE way over a month before he started to eat. I try not to feed chopped up food. As you stated he dosent get it all and it all floats to the top. Then I have to net it out. I feed mine fresh squid from the grocery store and fresh raw shrimp. I feed mine every 3 days.

selarman

why do you need tongs to feed them? I bought mine 3 weeks ago and when i drop krill in the tank he runs right out grabs a piece or 2 and heads back to his hole. I usually don't turn the light on till i am ready to feed them so he might be trained that when the light comes on dinner is coming.

S

simm

Alot of SFE wont run for the food when you drop it into the tank. Mine wont. You have to stick it in from of his face before he can smell it and find it.

I

irenicus

My SFE seeks and destroys all food that hits the sand. If another fish is nibbling on it, he'll give them a nip and steal the food. Depends on the personality of the eel, but like the others said, their eyesight is poor, so you may need to put food near the eel with a skewer or tongs. I usually feed my eel every 2-3 days as much as he can eat. My experience.:p