how to feed frozen?

newbieabc

this weekend i bought formula two and frozen brine shrimp. well this morning i went to feed my clowns, clown goby,shrimp, and my yellow tang and i took the food out of the freezer and put two cubes of each food in the microwave for 15 seconds. then i mushed all the food together and put it in the tank. then all the food broke up and was floating around the tank. the fish were eating but they couldent possiably eat it all so i got the net and got what i could out of the tank. is there any way to prevent this from happining again?thanks.

zman2205

i use a little cup, like the ones that come with medicine, and put some water from the tank in it. i then put the cube of frozen food in the cup and let it melt. once its melted u can just pour it in the tank

v-lioness

You can place the frozen foods in a separate container with tank water, this is when I add vitamins, let it thaw in the fridge over night. Feed a small portion of the food in the morning and than again at night. I also use a small plastic colander to strain my foods before feeding, this way I am not adding excess nutrients into my tank. Placing the food in the microwave may cook the food, you want to feed raw foods.
Kaye

newbieabc

so v - lioness should i feed my clowns brine shrimp flakes and my yellow tang his seaweed selects algea sheets one day and the next day feed the clowns and the yellow tang the frozen food? and should i just put the food in some tank water in a tub and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes then it should be thawed out enough to put in the tank right? what should i do to keep the food from spreading or will this stop it?

1911_guy

I saw a "feeding ring" at the pet store the other day. it has a suction cup to keep it from floating around. it basically keeps the food at the top of the water inside the ring so your powerheads can't blow it all over the place.

v-lioness

should i feed my clowns brine shrimp flakes and my yellow tang his seaweed selects algea sheets one day and the next day feed the clowns and the yellow tang the frozen food?
I would change them both over to mysis and avoid the brine shrimp, it is just not nutritional for them. Lettuce is another food that is just not nutritional enough for the tang, for frozen foods you can feed fresh frozen broccoli or Peas thawed, the broccoli can be put in a clip and the peas you can drop one at a time for the tang, these can be used along with Nori Sheet.
Though tangs need green they also need a variety of meaty foods.
and should i just put the food in some tank water in a tub and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes then it should be thawed out enough to put in the tank right?
Right, for me I use a shot glass for my smaller fish foods.
what should i do to keep the food from spreading or will this stop it?
You want the food to stay suspended so the fish can eat, but over feeding can lead to excess nutrients, you would be better off feeding smaller portions 2-3 times per day over one large feeding.
Kaye

gsd

If I had to do all you all do to feed frozen I would revert back to pelleted. I just break off a piece of frozen food, place it in a long handled forcepts or tweezers and swish it around the tank until its dissolved. Fine particulate matter gets utilized by varius filter feeders,and excess phosphates form liquid has never been a problem. Fast easy and no messing around.
The feeder rings may or may not work for the fish yu have as well as the feeds you feed. I used to use a feeder ring (Hoola hoop) in my pond with the gold fish and koi and it worked fairly well, but it does not take long for food to get scattered or sink, same thing with an in tank feeder ring...

1911_guy

Originally Posted by GSD
The feeder rings may or may not work for the fish yu have as well as the feeds you feed. I used to use a feeder ring (Hoola hoop) in my pond with the gold fish and koi and it worked fairly well, but it does not take long for food to get scattered or sink, same thing with an in tank feeder ring...
Thanks for the ring info...I haven't bought one yet but was thinking about it :thinking:

opus18

Originally Posted by 1911_Guy
Thanks for the ring info...I haven't bought one yet but was thinking about it :thinking:
tried one... unless the food stays floating... they really don't serve much of a purpose...

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
I would change them both over to mysis and avoid the brine shrimp, it is just not nutritional for them. Lettuce is another food that is just not nutritional enough for the tang, for frozen foods you can feed fresh frozen broccoli or Peas thawed, the broccoli can be put in a clip and the peas you can drop one at a time for the tang, these can be used along with Nori Sheet.
Though tangs need green they also need a variety of meaty foods.
Right, for me I use a shot glass for my smaller fish foods.
You want the food to stay suspended so the fish can eat, but over feeding can lead to excess nutrients, you would be better off feeding smaller portions 2-3 times per day over one large feeding.
Kaye
I agree, IMO 1 cube cut in half, one half for am and one for pm feeding. I just put the chunk on the pwrhd and it does the job of thawing. W/ the Formula2 I let it stay on the pwrhd for a few mins, then mash it up. Anything like cyclopeeze or plankton I shoot through the pwrhd as well, disburses nicely throughout the tank.

stanlalee

I grade a little off the cube of food with a knife while frozen into a medicine cup half full of tank water.. my fish are way too small to feed a full cube. One cube last me about 2-3weeks.