how to feed starfish?

nemofreak

do you target feed your starfish or let them search on their own? I got a Orange Fromia Starfish thursday but it has been on the glass. I offered it food but it showed no interested. should i assume it looks for food at night?

sk8shorty01

I am sorry that I cannot help you with the actual answer to your question, but the starfish "guru" of sorts here on SWF is definitely Ophiura so I would wait for a little bit for a response from her. If you don't get one from her I would PM your question over to her as she is a starfish encyclopedia. Good luck!

mie

These like most stars need aged aquariums with plenty of rockwork as they eat sponges, and bacterial slime on the rocks. They can be target fed they may not always be willing to accept the food.

I have a chocolate starfish. He target eats. The orange star fish you have I heard are harder to keep. I am know pro but thought I'd share my situation.

S

saltman23

I feed my chocolate chip starfish pieces of algea strips when he is at the surface of the water.

apelaston

my friends serpent star will grab food straight out of his fingers and even comes to the top for it when he is target feeding his other fish and corals..that's the only time he sees it.

ophiura

This star can not be spot fed and requires a very large system with mature live rock (about 100lbs min). It is not comparable to a serpentstar or chocolate chip star. Please post tank parameters and live rock...it may be fine, or not :(