how to frag mushrooms

discus guy

can anyone give me and idea on how to frag mushrooms. i have a big purple mushroom rock and they are growing so fast they are taking over half of my nano. if anyone can give me some pictures or a step by step to frag mushrooms. thanks anything wil be helpful

rykna

Sure!!! It's easy!!!
I have fragged my xenias and my gorgorian....just like taking a cutting from a plant. If I remeber correctly you simple cut a pizza slice of the mushroom and glue it to a piece of rubble rock with Super glue gel! :happyfish

rykna

Originally Posted by discus guy
i mean like fragging a whole mushroom not just pieces of the musrooms
Ahhh...well Zman should be able to give you some good info. :happyfish

wiley0717

Take a chisel, place it at the base of the shroom and tap with a hammer, should peel off a thin layer of rock leaving the shroom in tact.
Will you be selling some? I'd like some if you do

discus guy

i might trade some but i dont know yet ill see depends on how well they take and grow and if my other tanks levels come down

salth2ofun

I am new to message boards, and forums, but I attempted to follow the directions you gave within a link on how to frag mushrooms. I had a large red mushroom in a crack of a rock so I had a hard time getting it out. I don't know if I got the mouth, I also have an orange and green florida rhicordia. I tried to frag them as well. I had on gloves and the rhicordia stung my fingers thru the gloves. Is that possible? How long should it take to show growth in the container?

zman1

Originally Posted by salth2ofun
I am new to message boards, and forums, but I attempted to follow the directions you gave within a link on how to frag mushrooms. I had a large red mushroom in a crack of a rock so I had a hard time getting it out. I don't know if I got the mouth, I also have an orange and green florida rhicordia. I tried to frag them as well. I had on gloves and the rhicordia stung my fingers thru the gloves. Is that possible? How long should it take to show growth in the container?

Welcome
On the reds, don't worry if you didn't get part of the mouth. The cup that was recommended to use was just to allow them to attach to rubble and then you can remove them. You don't need the cup, as I never used one, but I had a few disappear (blown somewhere). Glue the rubble the mushroom is attached to or wedge them in their new location. I personally haven't done any Rics, someone else may be able to answer that question. I would say you should start to see them heal in a week and growth a few weeks after that. They also spread by themselves without being manually propagated.