How to get a tang to eat?

mrdc

So I got a purple tang last Thursday and he will not eat. Though last night he may have picked a few mysis off the sand bed but I have yet to see him eat anything free floating. Now what hair algae I did have, he has consumed and he picks at the rocks all day. This is a pretty big tang also and looks healthy.
I have been dosing seaweed and mysis with garlic and some vitamins. I have been using the sea squirt to target feed the area the tang is in and have actually squirted right to his mouth and nothing! So are there any secrets to getting him to eat? Any special food to try? Or do you think he will eventually get hungry enough to go after whatever I offer him?
Thanks.

mr. limpid

Try nori on a clip close to bottom since he seams to like the sand. Just some advise if you got him from LFS have them feed them in store because if they don't eat for them they wont eat for you. If you got him on line I hope it was from SW they have a great guarantee. If he is picking at rocks and eaten all the hair algae then you haven't found the food he likes, try different foods.

mrdc

I have been holding down the nori with my mag float and drag it to the bottom but he hasn't touched it. I plain to try freeze dried brine shrimp tonight and will just jeep changing the food hoping that he will find something to like. The guy I bought it from said it ate for him so I hope to be sucessful.

mr. limpid

Ask him what he feed him and try that. Don't wast your time with brine shrimp no nutritional value. Try some of the frozen veggie foods, also instant ocean has grazing block, comes in seaweed and marine formulas.