How to get rid of Cyno

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
I have some serious cynobacteria growing in my tank on the substrate and in the lr. How do i get rid of it? All levels are good/perfect, no phosphates, new actinic lights but old white lights, so ive turned the whites off and just bought some new ones (installing them tomorrow), but still more cyno grew today. Its really annoying me and its time like this i wonder why i bother, how do i get rid of them?
My lights are T5's and all water is RO/DI.
Thanks,
Tim.

timsedwards

yes my circulation is pretty good and it was just in good circulatory areas, i mean they were swaying in the flow! Now its spreading to all the substrate.
Just a suggestions after talking to a few folks on AIM: how about i do a 15% water change, syphon out as much as poss and leave the tank in darkness for 24 hours? I only have a couple of shroom colonies and a small zoo colony....any thoughts?
Tim.
my circulation is 2470 litres per hours excluding cannister filter and skimmer.

beaslbob

if the lights out help then you are on your way. the idea is to let the plants in your refug do their majic. May take more that a day though.

timsedwards

hmmm dont have a refug, long story but its totally impossible logistically to have one.
well the lights out havent helped as of yet, as i still had actinics on today.
Tim.

fishman830

yes, do siphon, and then it should help to turn the lights off for a day, hope everything works out for you, by the way do you live near the town of cent?

timsedwards

Hi thanks for reply, never heard of Cent...? where is that near? Do you mean Kent?
Im going to water change and lights out for 24 hours, anyone disagree with this feel free to say so (although it will be too later for the siphoning and water change!)
Tim.

fishman830

yes maybe it is kent, wasn't so sure, my friend moved back there in august,
but what you are going to do sounds good, but how big of a water change??

artista

Do you have any livestock? If so what are you feeding? I have been fighting the cyno battle too and like to see what is possibly causing it in other tanks. I have started rinsing ALL frozen foods in RO/DI water, helps a little. Good luck.:happyfish

wablondie98664

i had a bad case of cyano a while back and my lfs gave me some eurethrimyacin to do the job. you just dissolve i capsule for every 50 gal of water and put in tank at lights out time. by morning the cyano was gone.

I think that there is a thread about how to rid your tank of red slime . . . :thinking:

coloradodeb

:) I also had a bout with cyano. a lfs a few hours from here advised me to use Chemi-clean, made by Boyd Enterprises....this stuff works miracles. A bit pricey but very worth the money!:)

we got the stuff we used on our tank for free from our LFS, dont know how many of them give it away, but worth checking into before spending money on it. good luck.

banshee

I have used Chemi-clean too. It makes it dissapear for a couple of months, but then it comes back. Hope when I switch to RO/DI, it will go away for good.

wrassecal

OH YIPEE we do have the same problem again at the same time. :eek: I siphoned mine out since the ph wasn't doing anything more than making it billow in the flow. My new thing is to blame new/old lighting when parameters check out correctly. We are on about the same schedule with our lights. Just think Tim once we change out the bulbs we'll probably get to deal with diatoms again
I wouldn't put any antibiotics in my tank but, I have on occasion used the chemi clean by Boyd Enterprises. It worked really well and the cyano did not come back until well now, which is months later. I don't know if you can get it on your side of the pond or not.