How to light an unconventional refugium?

dstoneburg

Im curious on any opinions on how to light an unconventional refugium. Its a HOB filter converted to refugium. It hangs on the back of my sump so naturally I want as little light passing into the sump as possible to keep algae from growing. What would you recomend? I just need to find something small enough to keep most of the light in the HOB filter and then I am sure I could maguiver the rest. The dimensions are 8.5lx4w.

kynekke

Go to a large retailer.. buy a small reading light that takes regular sized bulbs and has a directional hood on it. You could even get a clip-on light. Put in a day bulb and just make sure the hood ensures it's directed at the fuge only. If too much light hits the tank you can always use foil to cover parts of the light to limit it's cover.

chano

I have one very similar to that and i use small Marina brand LED lights i got at *****. They arent very expensive and there is a part you can buy to link them together if you need to. As a plus they are water proof. (of that i am positive i dropped it in my tank). I dont really know how much light they put off but its enough to keep my cheato alive. (I rarely remember to turn them off so they are pretty much on 24-7)

teresaq

do a google on this Galaxy & Palm Compact Fluorescent Lights. or just palm light. these are purfect for the little hangon back fuges.
Teresa

uberlink

I did this with an old Skilter at one point. Worked incredibly well for a long time. (Recently the skilter sprung a leak and almost started a fire...but that had nothing to do with using it as a mini-refugium.)
Here's a thread on the subject from way back when. There's a photo that shows the light I used--just a simple little fluorescent light. Worked great!
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/206818/in-tank-refugium

michaeltx

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
do a google on this Galaxy & Palm Compact Fluorescent Lights. or just palm light. these are purfect for the little hangon back fuges.
Teresa
they work great for a fuge like this just have to do some manipulations to get it over the top with out blinding you especially if you dont have a canopy.
Mike