How to net fish with ich in a well rooted reef tank.

locnload

I have a 40 gal reef tank with lots of live rock and many different corals and also with 2 perc clowns, 1 damsel and 1 bi-color blenny. I suspect a change in water temp during the nights has stress the fish and they all have developed ich. I really am fond of my fish and would like to save them. So I had set up a hospital tank and was planning on doing hypo saline. Then I tried to catch the fish, and after about an hour I had to choose between saving my fish from a nasty death by ich or ripping my reef apart and endangering my corals. I know this is going to sound really cold hearted but my corals cost much more then my fish. Not to mention the live rock is positioned exactly like how I want it and I know if I rip it apart to get to the fish I'll never get it repositioned.
So I'm afraid my fish will die an uncomfortable death because I am chosing the reef over them.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save them? Anyone have any tricks on how to catch the fish?
These are dark days at my house as the death watch continues for my poor fish.
P.S: I am feeding them garlic soaked food at ever meal.
Thanks all for the input.

92protruck

I think everybody goes through this sooner or later. Trust me, taking apart the reef won't be that bad and you will be relieved when you get the fish out. I had to do it on a 72 with 100 lbs of LR and 26 corals and it went back together nearly perfect. Get 1 or 2 25 gal rubbermaid bins and siphon about 1/2 the water out into the bins. I took the upper pieces of rock/coral and put them in 1 bin laid out just like they were in the tank. The next row went in the 2nd bin again positioned like I had them in the tank. I was able to keep my big foundation rocks in the tank. Net the fish out. Move all the rocks/corals back into the tank in reverse order. Return the water to the tank or use new. This part only took me about an hour. I spent another 2 hours fiddling with the rocks turning and fitting them together like I had them. A "before" picture would help. It should not be nearly as difficult or time consuming in a smaller tank. I also had to do it without power (Hurricane Katrina). I dreaded it just like you are. Afterwards, I said to myself well...that's just part of it might as well get used to it and that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought! Save those fishies!

cmiles

The Best Money Yspent On My Tank So Far Was Cleaner Shrimp For The Fish, They Will Work Wonders.

mbh27513

I was able to remove my Damsels for a completely different reason with my homemade fishtrap. I made one using an old 2 liter clear soda bottle. Found the instructions on the web. Baited it with some frozen brine shrimp chunks and was patient.

locnload

Thanks for the replies...I'll try the fish trap idea. If you have links on how-to build please forward them my way.
I still have second thoughts about taking my reef apart because some of the mushrooms are attached to 2 or more rocks. Well anyhow, I'm going back and forth. I'll try the fish trap idea first then if that doesn't work I'll think about taking the reef apart again.