How to set up a calcium reactor????????

flatzboy

I am looking to set up a calcium reactor and have a few questions about them. First this will be on my 46g. bow front. Do I have to use it with co2? If I don't have to run it with co2 do I just get the reactor, pump, and the media and just pump the water threw it? If I set up a calcium reactor do I still dose calcium? Do I use this with kalkwasser? I would also like to have a 5 gallon auto top off hooked up with this, Would I plumb them together? Please help me with this because I would love to have one with a auto top off. Pics would be very helpfull to.

tony detroit

A calcium reactor is a chamber filled with crushed shells/aragonite material under continous flow that dissolves this material with the use of carbon dioxide.
Water is circulated through the container, flowing from the bottom up to prevent clogging. CO 2 is injected into the water in the reactor and lowers the pH, this lowering of the pH, dissolves the aragonite material into your water column, and from the reactor it slowly drips into your tank. A calcium reactor will raise your calcium and alkalinity. At first it will lower your pH but eventually when your alkalinity is high enough it won't have as big as an effect on your pH.
The pH change is the reason your hear many people talking about running kalkwasser reactors, they raise the pH back up and are usually run in team with calcium reactors at first, but are not always a necessity.
The first week of dialing in a reactor is a little tough, but once they are dialed in, they work great and are for the most part maintenance free except for every couple months. 46gal is a bit small, so your choices may be limited in what you can buy, but there are some out there still that will fit that tank. Be ready to spend a few hundred bucks getting it going.
If I had to recommend anything to you, why don't you run a 5 gal auto topoff on a float switch mixed with kalkwasser and water and try that for a couple months before jumping into a calcium reactor.

flatzboy

Thanks tony I've waiting forever to figure this out. Well I think I will just run an auto top unit, because I think I can handle setting it up. I have red that you have to drip kalkwasser so on my autotopoff will it pump to much in at one time. I am gonna get a float switch and mount it into my sump. For the kalkwasser do I just get the kalkwasser mix and mix it with the ro/di water into my 5 gallon auto top off and when my water gets low It will pump the water into the sump. Could you recomend a kalkwasser brand.

tony detroit

You can buy any brand, they're all the same, or you can go to the grocery store and buy Ball's Pickling Lime, it is the same thing, but much cheaper.
You can drill a bucket or a tupperware container or a small tub, put a powerhead in it to keep the water mixing, fill it with ro and kalk, and put it on a slow drip through a hose with a pinch in it, or you can hook up a float switch in the sump to turn on a pump in the container to pump the water mix to the sump when the water level in the sump gets to a low setting.

flatzboy

I will go with the float switch and pump idea. Will it be to much kalk. at once with the floatswitch. Also shoul I have some sort of lid on the bucket. Also do you know where I could get a float switch.

tony detroit

No, you should be ok, unless the float switch was to fail.......then you could have some problems.
That is why I spent the money and went with a calcium reactor, plus you don't have to clean it every weekend and refill it every 2 days, you just let it go and replace the media six months later, replace the bottle usually around 1 year or so. But it will cost you a couple hundred to get it going.

flatzboy

Why to do you have to refill every 2 days? I don't think 5 gallons evaporates in 2 days in my tank not even 1 gallon. Could you recommend a calcium reactor setup for me with the co2 and everything.