how to set up a skimmer for ap24

tax lady

I mentioned this in another thread but did not get any answers.
Purchased a skimmer for my aquapod 24 gallon tank. I cannot get it to fit. First took out the sponges then put the skimmer in. it is about 3/4 inch too tall for the hood to close. anyone have any answers?

asharp13

i have an ap24 and have given up on the skimmer idea. ive heard of people modifying the hood so the top of the skimmer can stick out but thats a lot of work. there are also hang on back HOB skimmers and refugiums bu those take modifying the hood also. with a 24 gal tank its not hard to do water changes. i do a 5gal wc every week (20%/week, 100%/month). keep up with water changes and ull b fine. ive had my tank for 7mos and have had no problems yet!

bmkj02

What kind of skimmer are you wanting to put back there? On my AP24 I tried the Fisson crap skimmer. Never worked right. Finally I just cut two openings on the hood to run 3/4 plumbing and ran a sump below and placed a skimmer down there. You can hardly tell the hood was modified

asharp13

why does the math seem funny? i figure that my 24gal has enough sand LR etc to make it a ~20gal. therefore i change about 25%/week and yes 100% per month!!!!
yes this is my first and only tank EVER!!!! why do u ask?

posiden

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3154164
why does the math seem funny? i figure that my 24gal has enough sand LR etc to make it a ~20gal. therefore i change about 25%/week and yes 100% per month!!!!
yes this is my first and only tank EVER!!!! why do u ask?

Yes I know about displacement.
I was just razing you about it being a 24 gallon tank. Which would mean that there would have to be a fith week.
(joke gone bad)
Originally Posted by asharp13

http:///forum/post/3154164
ive had my tank for 7mos and have had no problems yet!
I was interested in this statment. As all new tanks do, you have seen your share of new tank issues.

posiden

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/3153405
I mentioned this in another thread but did not get any answers.
Purchased a skimmer for my aquapod 24 gallon tank. I cannot get it to fit. First took out the sponges then put the skimmer in. it is about 3/4 inch too tall for the hood to close. anyone have any answers?

Sorry I cann't help you on this one. I think it is odd that you must mod the lid to get it to fit when it is clearly stated on thier site that no modification is needed and you can close the lid. I wonder if they changed pumps or something.

tax lady

It is a sapphire ap24 which is made especially for the aquapod 24. I spoke to the man at the site when I got it the other day and he couldn't understand why it stuck out so much. So I will try to contact him again.
Did any of you get this particular skimmer?
the reason I got a skimmer (after having the tank since last december) is cause I am having a phosphate problem and everyone on forum says that a skimmer would help.
thanks for all the replies.

tax lady

Finally got the answer to why the Sapphire skimmer does not fit in my 24 gal aquapod. Apparently the lfs that ordered it ordered one to fit in a 28 gal aquapod. Anyway I have spoken to Kyle at Sapphire Aquatics and he is sending me, free of charge, the body of the skimmer that will fit my tank. Really good to see a company that will stand behind their products and go the extra mile for their customers.
Audrey