how to setup best reef w/ best fish

reef dude

I've got this 90 gallon tank sitting in my living room and i've got a wet/dry filter comming in any day now. Once i get it all setup with water and sand/crushed coral, how long should i wait untill its safe to put some live rock and coral in? Also, i want to have a nice reef going but i also want to be able to load up the tank with a lot of tangs, angels, lionfish, wrasse's, etc.. is that possible?

azonic

Put the live rock in right away, it will help start up the cycling of your tank. Corals and fish would have to wait anywhere from 5-9 weeks give or take a week either way. As for a LOT of tangs, angels, etc, etc...Just how many did you have in mind?

zack schwartz

I can say is do some seaching on the web. This well help a lot. I don't know if you are to saltwater fish keeping but start with a fo or fowlr.

tuckermojo

you should buy the book by Scott W michael...it has so many diff fish in this book, tells you what gallons they require, if they should be kept alone...what they eat...its a great book...anyway...if your thinking about keeping an emporer angle...just block those thoughts out...thats impossible in a 90 gal tank...but they're are plenty of lovely angles out there for you size tank.you can have 2 tangs in your tank, if you have plenty of live rock and plenty of alge so they can graze all day...i don't know anything about wrasses...i think you can put together wrasses together in a large tank...but don't take my word for it...i'm really not sure on the wrasses...anyway buy that book...its a life saver..

brian'sreef

You have pretty high hopes for a large very diverse system.. unfortunately your hopes are just a little too high.. it would be awesome to be able to keep that many fish in a tank like that.. it's just not possible though..you may be able to get two tangs but if you do you need to put them in at the same time they tend to get very territorial and may beat each other up.. i have a 125 and had a purple and a yellow tang in it the purple beat the yellow one up so bad that it stopped eating and hid in the corner all the time
.. as far as angels go.. it would have to be a dwarf in a 90 gal tank.. larger angels don't do well in a smaller tank and really aren't that reef safe and i also would only go with one if you were to get any... perhaps a flame or heraldi's...
different wrasses can live together ok in the same tank.. some do however get big like a coris lunare or green bird and they for the most part feed one copepods and other small animals living in the sand.. again i would go with something smaller perhaps a sixline and a cleaner..
go with some little guys too gobies blennies chromis whatever..just don't over crowd you'll end up with a cramped system and unhealthy fish.
oh by the way ..i can't remember whether you said it or not but if not i'd go with live sand in the reef tank...wait AT LEAST.. four weeks for fish.. and go slow add things one at a time.. dont' rush it.. good luck...
Brian

shootonsite

You've got some great advice there from brian's reef. You'll find that most reefkeeper's will have the fish population at a minimum. If you're adamant about keeping a lot of fish, go with a dwarf angel, small tang, goby, blenny, clownfish, and hawkfish. This combination of community fish would be good for a reef and would not create a lot of wastes. Plus, you'll be able to introduce all types of tank cleaners. If you decide to use live aragonite (which I would recommend), you'd be able to add fish in as little as a week and corals in 2 to 3 weeks. Although, it's still a good idea to take your time. Skip on the goby though, because it will sift the sand for fauna. Remember not to use any bio balls when setting up a reef tank. Live rock and live sand are the most natural processes of denitrification. Adding any type of wet/dry filtration will double the process and upset your system. Use the wet/dry as a sump instead and check out other filtration methods. Good luck.