How to ship corals etc.

spyderreef

I would like to be able to buy and trade with others but I don't know how best to pack things. I have never ordered over the internet so I don't know how most things come. Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to ship some caulerpa.

adrian

Shipping livestock is pretty easy. Youll need fish bags, fresh saltwater, rubberbands, cardboard boxes, and styrofoam boxes. You may also need heating or cooling packs depending on the weather. Place the coral or macro algae in a bag, I like to triple bag, add enough water from the tank to the bag to cover the piece. Replace water in the tank with the fresh SW. Close the bag with a few rubber bands. You can trap air in the bag if you wish, although corals and macros dont need it, and fish will ned O2. If you do trap air make sure the bag is not too firm, if the bag is shipped via air the bag will explode if there is too much air. Place your bag in the styrobox, fill any extra space with newspaper or popcorn. Add a heating or cooling pack wrapped in newspaper if needed. Seal the box tightly with packing tape. Place the styro in a fitted cardboard box, and again seal with packing tape. Mark the box with things like fragile, this side up, store at room temp, live fish, ect. Rush the box down to the place you plan to ship with and overnight it. For the most the most part its that simple ;)