How to start a fuge?

newsalt16

I have a 54g reef with a canister filter, protein skimmer, and a powerhead. I have a 10g im not using right now and was wondering if it would be possible for me to start a fuge with it? My tank is not predrilled and has no overflow or any kind. I dont understand how to make a fuge work or what i need to try to make this work. Could i do it with a 10g and what else would i need. Any help to get me started would be awesome. Remember i dont know anything about them!!! Thanks

gwh57

Yes, you can but you will have to have an external overflow or use current filter system to drain water from the display to the sump. Then you will have to pump the water back from the sump to the display.

dadszx7

yes it totally possible.
You'll need to drill the tank or add an external overflow. Then plumb the over flow to sump. Then pump and plumb the water back to the tank.
I would recommend a pump no smaller then 550 gph per hour. As this will give you good flow and remember you will lose some output on your pump. As you are pushing the water up. I've experienced about 20%lose at the top of the returns

newsalt16

Originally Posted by dadszx7
yes it totally possible.
You'll need to drill the tank or add an external overflow. Then plumb the over flow to sump. Then pump and plumb the water back to the tank.
I would recommend a pump no smaller then 550 gph per hour. As this will give you good flow and remember you will lose some output on your pump. As you are pushing the water up. I've experienced about 20%lose at the top of the returns
Ok i'd like to not drill the tank so lets go with the external overflow! What does plumb the overflow to sump mean as well as how do u do that along with getting the water back to the tank. I'm sorry if these should be obvious but please be patient with me. Thanks for the help so far!!
P.S. remember keep it dumbed down i know nothing about this stuff!! hahaha

S

saltfreak4

you put in baffles in the 10 gallon tank. You setup the overflow from the DT to the fuge, and then you place a submersible pump in one side of the 10 gallon tank. So, the water goes into the overflow through a u-tube into the drain down to the 10 gallon tank, The water enters on one side of the 10, over the baffle, into the refuge part of the 10 gallon, usually over another baffle and into the other side of the 10 where the submerisble pump pumps the water up to the DT. I setup a pvc system that sits in the DT and is connected to the return pump from the fuge and my rocks sit on top of the network of plumbing. Then over the top of the DT down into a ball valve that controlls the amount of water flowing into the DT from the fuge. You set this so that you don't pump more water into the DT than is draining, and you don't drain more water than is pumping. Sounds confusing, but once you get it up and running it works great. :) Happy set up

newsalt16

i think im starting to understand but what are baffles? And how much do u think it would cost for the equipement to do it?

dadszx7

baffles are the dividing walls in sump. They make the seperate compartments as stated in the previous posting. In a basic sump there are three baffles. The first hold be the overflow wall. Then the flow goes under that. The second being the bubbler wall. The then the flow goes over that, into the refugium. That is where you put, sand, cheato, crabs etc. The third being the return, the flow going over that into the return. That is where you put the submersible pump. Then the pump, is plumbed back to top of the tank to return the water back to the tank.
Here's a link that is full of info for you.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Keep the questions coming

newsalt16

Originally Posted by dadszx7
baffles are the dividing walls in sump. They make the seperate compartments as stated in the previous posting. In a basic sump there are three baffles. The first hold be the overflow wall. Then the flow goes under that. The second being the bubbler wall. The then the flow goes over that, into the refugium. That is where you put, sand, cheato, crabs etc. The third being the return, the flow going over that into the return. That is where you put the submersible pump. Then the pump, is plumbed back to top of the tank to return the water back to the tank.
Here's a link that is full of info for you.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Keep the questions coming

That site is amazing dadszx7!!! I have lots more questions so i will number them so u can easily answer them. 1. He talks all about using acrylic, but since i already have a glass 10g will that work? 2. Do u think the 10g fuge is to small for a 54g DT? 3. Would the fuge take the place of my canister filter? 4. How is the water actually flitered since it doesn't run through a screen like thing as in my canister filter? 5. Since i am so no smart on this subject do u think i can still make a successful fuge? I finish college and am off for the summer in a week i think this would be an awesome summer project. Thanks for all your help so far and for being patient with me!!!!!

dadszx7

Here's the answers to your questions
1. Yes, your 10 gallon would work. Instead of using acrylic baffles, use glass. You can have them made at any local glass shop for cheap. Then silicon them in. Make sure to use silicon that is aquarium friendly.
2. I think the 10 would work with 54. But if could get ahold of larger tank for the sump, the better. Now would be the time to do it rather than later. You could pick up a tankonly a pet shop for about 30.00. Maybe free in the classifieds. I'm currently set-up a 50 gallon reef with a 20 gallon sump.
3.yes, the sump would take the place of your canister.
4. the filteration comes for the sand, rock and chaeto, crabs, snails etc. That is pump in the sump/refugium.
5. Once, you have design in mind and have the items to build the sump. It takes about 2 hours to build and 24 hours to cure the silicon. What take the time IMO is the plumbing part of the overflows and the return pump.
here's my personal email, I can send you photo of my set up. And give you personal recommendations.
richardlewis68@msn.com
Keep the questions coming.

dadszx7

Here's a photo of my new stand/tank and canopy, which I built myself.
The stand and canopy, need to be final sanded, stained and varnished. Will be stained a cherry walnut. It has a 2x4 skeleton and skinned in birch plywood. Will have black hardware and hinges. The canopy opens at the top via a piano hinge to give access to top of tank and lights. Will have two fans in the back. One blowing in and the other blowing out.
My sump/refugium will fit underneath and is a 20 gallon.
This is my third tank. I've got a 125, now this tank. I'm my son has 30 gallon hex. Which I'm teaching how to take care of.
I can post a photo of sump at a later time. As I don't have a photo of yet.
Send an email to my personal email, which you have and I can send of the diagram, picture that I used.

newsalt16

wow your tank looks great! i sent you an email and if u get a pic of your fuge that would greatly help me out!!!