How to start coralline algae growth?

trigger_guy

How do you go about starting coralline algae growth? I have a bunch of red slime algae and I am trying to start the production of some coarraline algae. So far I have gone through 3/4 a bottle of Purple-Up and have yet to see any coralline growth. Any suggestions as to what to do to help accelerate this process would be greatly appreciated.

lexluethar

Originally Posted by trigger_guy
How do you go about starting coralline algae growth? I have a bunch of red slime algae and I am trying to start the production of some coarraline algae. So far I have gone through 3/4 a bottle of Purple-Up and have yet to see any coralline growth. Any suggestions as to what to do to help accelerate this process would be greatly appreciated.
I just upgraded to MH bulbs and I can't keep the coraline algae off of anything, it grows so fast. Glass, power heads, sand, rocks, you name it, the purple stuff is growing on it.

if you dont have the purple in it yet try getting a piece of rock that has some on it. you have to introduce it first then purple up works. purple up doesnt make the purple it helps it spred. lol im doing the same thing you are!

renogaw

where are you located? i've sent people bottles of coralline chips through the mail LOL.

mcbdz

Give more info on your tank. Age, size, setup, filtration , lights, livestack. I have found you don't need additives. Just good water quality and patients. Both the tanks I have up 55g mixed reef, and 25 tall hex started good fast growth between 4-5 months. I even have old (2-3yrs) bulbs of plain fl. light on the 25 and it has started to take off. I don't add anything, but weekly water changes. If you want to help spread. Scrap it off frequently and it spreads it faster.

trigger_guy

My tank is 125G FOWLR, it has been set-up for 6 years but I have owned it for 2 months. I transported it w/ 120lbs of live rock and about 9 fish from Chicago to St. Louis. Everything made the trip. I am running a wet/dry sump, prizm skimmer, and 2 JBJ powerheads (530gph each), and UV sterilizer. I have reg. fluorescent lights. 2 x 36in 50/50, 2 x 24in 10,000k, and 2 x 24in actinic's. 50/50's are 2 days old and I will be changing the 10,000k's next week. I just bought a small piece of LR with coralline on it today and I am continuing to use Purple-Up. My LFS said that coralline thrives with blue light and that I should probably swap the 10,000k's for another set of 50/50's. Is this true?

royal gamma

ok...like the others have said....patience is the key... also take the piece you just got and scrap the rock with something hard to help spread the spores..this should help.

D

dennis210

Patience, no sterilizer, and not just calcium but try to maintain calcium at 460 and alk at 200 mg/l CaCO3. All to soon then you will be cussing the scraping you have to do biweekly!

trigger_guy

UV is now off and my skimmer is turned down as low as it will go. I am getting a ton of liquid. Is there a link between my UV being off and the skimmer removing so much? If so what should I do?