How to use Limewater to increase pH

scsinet

First off, as a point of clarification, your aim should not be to increase pH. Your aim here should be to build alkalinity, which will in turn normalize and stabilize pH, along with alkalinity and calcium.
I've never heard of lime juice (as in the juice squeezed from limes, right?) being used for this purpose.... the chemical used is calcium hydroxide, otherwise known in the hobby as kalkwasser (which is a german term for limewater, which may be the source of confustion??). If lime juice is actually used, I'm interested to hear about it though...

Generally, it's used by mixing about 1tsp per gallon of the powder into RODI water. The water is then dripped very slowly into the tank. Adding it too quickly can cause a tank crash, so you want to be sure to drip very slowly at first, then increase as necessary over time to get the alkalinity, calcium, and pH values you are looking for. All three of these values play off each other, so all should be monitored.
You can buy kalkwasser mix from Seachem, Kent, etc at most lfs stores that sell saltwater stuff. Alternatively, you can buy calcium hydroxide powder from a site like bulk reef supply, or you can get Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime from the grocery store, it's the same stuff.

chilwil84

scsi has it right and to add to it if you can drip it overnight when your lights are out it will stabalize the ph swing tanks have when the lights go out. most people with controlers that monitor ph say that there lowest point is around 3 am, so the longer after your lights go out the better.

jackri

I used Mrs Wage's pickling lime and did about a tblspoon per gallon. However I would add it to my 5g top off bucket with a power head and it would mix it around at all times and dose a little with top off water.
That did great in keeping my alk and calcium up very cheaply. But, and this is a big BUT, when you do a drip this way after you mix it and let it set you get a top layer of crust, and "fuzz" or sludge on the bottom. You don't want either of these in your tank as it can add phosphates thus promoting green hair algae growth.
This is commonly called a limewater drip though -- no juice involved SCSI

katsafados

Wouldnt that lower the pH not increase it? Isnt lime an acid? Dont you need a base to increase pH? pH 0 = acid, pH 7 = neutral, pH 14 = basic? Or is the name just lime and has nothing to do with the acidic fruit?

scsinet

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3208104
Wouldnt that lower the pH not increase it? Isnt lime an acid? Dont you need a base to increase pH? pH 0 = acid, pH 7 = neutral, pH 14 = basic? Or is the name just lime and has nothing to do with the acidic fruit?
No, kalk is very alkaline (or basic as you called it), not acidic. It's pH is something like 12-13.
It's lime as in limestone, not as in lime juice (read: citric acid). Calcium hydroxide is made by heating limestone, no limes are harmed in producing it.