How Vital is a Protien Skimmer?

gmidd

I just set up my 30 gallon a week ago and was curious how vital is a Protien Skimmer for my size of a tank. I'm currently running a Fluval 305 and the water is crystal clear (for now). When I hooked up my Coralife Protien Skimmer its bulky for my size of tank, noisey and I couldn't get it to work properly so I'm considering not using it. Any input?

keith burn

Originally Posted by Gmidd
I just set up my 30 gallon a week ago and was curious how vital is a Protien Skimmer for my size of a tank. I'm currently running a Fluval 305 and the water is crystal clear (for now). When I hooked up my Coralife Protien Skimmer its bulky for my size of tank, noisey and I couldn't get it to work properly so I'm considering not using it. Any input?

NOT VITAL FOR YOU NOW BUT IN ABOUT 3/6M IT WILL BE.
IMO A SKIMMER IS THE BEST THING AFTER LR.

clibby

After 4 years of a "SO-SO" reef, and many casualties, I finally dismantled my entired biological filtration system. I removed all Bio Balls. I replaced that space in my Sump with the Euro-Reef Protein Skimmer. My tank finally looks like all the great photos I see here. If you have a reef tank, remove the biological media and put in a Skimmer.
I found my Bio Balls were filled with gunk and most likely a Nitrate haven.
GOOD LUCK!

craig7220

Protein skimmers are vital to a healthy system. My skimmer will pull out 2 to 3 cups of brown scummy crap a week. You won't see much at first since your tank is new but after a few months, you won't believe how much junk it pulls out of your water.

rgunnell

I was told since my tank was new (only 4 days now), I didn't really need one. However, I saw a lot of organic buildup on top of my water and since I've installed the Ramora, it is all gone. Inside my Ramora, a nasty lookin soupy brown mess.
I'd get one. Better to be early than late anyway.

gmidd

Thanks for the input. As for the lack of bubbles, it may be due to the tank is so new. We'll see.

rgunnell

Oh, thats another thing. I had *alot* of microbubbles in my water...but after the Ramora was intalled, they are almost non-existent as well. My tank just looks really really clean.
Best of luck to you.