How's my Stocklist?

lizzy

Okay...so my tank has been up since the beggining of January..As of right now I have two Ocellaris Clowns and a few corals. Its a 65 gal. This is my stocklist that I have put together....if there are any problems let me know and I'll switch some stuff around. Okay so here we go!
2 Clowns (already have)
1 Mandarin Goby (which will be added later down the road but I do have
pods running around...I bought live rock from 2 very established tanks)
1 long nose hawkfish
1 racoon butterfly OR 1 copperband Butterfly (I know about possibly nipping at corals...I'll work out
a backup plan for if its needed)
1 sixline wrasse
Okay sooooo what do ya think? What do you think would be the best order to put them into the tank...obviously the clowns first cuz they are already there. Thanks so much! Liz

fenrir

Your stock list sounds good, I love hawkfish but I love my shrimp to much. After the clowns I would add everything else and then the sixline last. I have herd that sixlines can be mean to new tank mates.

fenrir

I wouldn't risk it, I have seen tanks with them doing ok and I know of people getting there $30 fireshrimp eaten as a snack!
But they are really cool though!

fenrir

Thats insane prices on those shrimp. I guarantee you can find a better lfs that will sell those guys cheaper.

afboundguy

My only concern is that Sixlines compete with mandarins for pods and can possibly eat all the pods. Just my $.02

lizzy

hmm i didnt know that sixlines ate pods!
okay...so far doing pretty good though. I was thinking of setting up another tank that had nothing in it that would eat pods so that i could produce them in there but how do you transfer pods from one tank to another? move a rock back and forth? or a scoop of sand????

reefmate75

well for a mandrin i would say not to put one in a tank smaller then 100 gallons that had atleast 100 pounds of live rock as at first normally pods is all they will eat and some never eat mysis or brine like some say they got theirs to do, i used to have a mandrin he would eat flake food, but no mysis or brine (which mysis and brine arnt really a healthy choice anyhow, nor is flake food) but that tank size i recomend isnt law some people keep them in smaller tanks but they migth also be buing pods every so often
another way would be to have a fuge so that the pods had a nice place to reproduce a quite large one as when i had my mandrin and i bought pods a few times he didnt stop eating them till they all got hidden and still they can eat houndreds of them a day, just hard to keep up with their food needs
if you do get one wait a long time like 2 years befor you add him, or the sixline wrasse, you should have a out of controll population by then hahaha i did in my 75 gallon and i bought one and he cleared them out in like 3 months i had a hard time finding any