hows this

mr.clownfish

my tomatoes are hosting my huge mushroom. my male has brookyenella and i think its going to infect all my other fish and every fish is going to die in there. sad

unleashed

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/2833935
my tomatoes are hosting my huge mushroom. my male has brookyenella and i think its going to infect all my other fish and every fish is going to die in there. sad

if he dies in that tank he will infect all the others i would pull him out and treat him asap brookynella is a rapid death desease how long has he has the symptoms..if may be something else that is treatable

unleashed

Brookynella Hostillis
Diagnosis and treatment
What is it.
Brookynella Hostillis, or Clownfish disease, is a virulent protozoan parasite Although commonly called Clownfish Disease it can and does affect most, if not all, fish.
Lifecycle
Brookynella Hostillis lifecycle is completed entirely on the fish. It has no association with the substrate. Reproduction is by binary fission and although the newly formed parasite can swim freely they more often than not reattach to the original host. Couple this with the rapid reproduction potential of binary fission and it’s easy to see why Brookynella Hostillis can kill a fish in 36 to 48 hours.
Symptoms
Brookynella Hostillis can be identified by rapid breathing, excess mucus secretion, holes/pits on the head and/or lateral line and colour fading. Brookynella Hostillis is a very fast killer usually killing the host in 36 to 48 hours therefore speedy action is critical if the fish is to be saved.
Treatment
Treatment of Brookynella Hostillis requires the use of a Formaldehyde based product. Be extra, extra careful using Formaldehyde and read the instructions on the bottle/packaging thoroughly. The levels of formaldehyde you need CANNOT be used in the main tank.
You are also going to need a few bits and pieces, here a list
Requirements
Water, mix water to 25ppt about 1.020SG. This eases the fish’s osmoregulation and reduces stress but you will need to change 50% every 12 to 16 hours for the first 3 days in quarantine as the fish will urinate a lot during this time as a result of the lower salinity. You could optionally use API AmmoLock but water changes will be just fine.
Tank for quarantine, this is a simple affair and you only need a suitable tank of about 20 to 40 litres with a lid, heater, air pump and air stone. You don't need filtration at this point and you don't need lights at all.
Two small bath tanks of at least 10 litres each with lid, the highest airflow air pump you can afford (formaldehyde drives oxygen from the water so the higher the airflow the better) small 10 or 25 watt heater and air stones.
Interpet Anti-Parasite, this is actually a pond product but works just fine. PLEASE READ the safety instructions on the side of the bottle carefully, formaldehyde can be nasty stuff. I have verified, with Interpet, the formaldehyde concentration in this product and the instructions below will give you the required dosage of 200ppm.
Anti-bacterial remedy such as Myxazin.
A small syringe, from one of your test kits maybe, that you will never use again.
Don't forget plenty of air line.

unleashed

Method
Put a heater in one of the small tanks and add 4.5 litres (1gallon), no more, no less, of your 25ppt water in and bring it to the same temp as the QT. Add 2ml of the Interpet Anti-Parasite, measure this EXACTLY from the syringe. Next get the aeration going full speed, the more aeration the better. Leave this for a minute or two to spread the remedy fully throughout the water.
Net the fish and place it gently in to the formaldehyde bath, cover the bath and set your mobile phone, or other, alarm for one hour. Watch the fish carefully for signs of distress. If showing distress, immediately prepare the rinse bath, see below, and remove the fish
While the fish is in the bath and showing no signs of distress, completely strip the quarantine tank and clean the tank, the heater, air line and air stones thoroughly . When done setup the QT again and fill it with your new 25ppt water, don't forget to switch the heater back on.
When the time is almost up get the 2nd small tank and add some of your 25ppt mixed water, enough so the fish fits in comfortably, this is your rinse bath. When the alarm goes off immediately net the fish in to the rinse for 5 minutes, don't worry about aeration or heat, the fish won't be in there long enough to cuase problems. Rinse your catch net under the tap and flick out any excess water. After 5 minutes net him and put him back into the QT. Discard the entire contents of the formaldehyde bath and rinse the tank, heater, air line and air stone in fresh tap water.
Repeat this bath procedure no earlier than, and as close to 24 hours after the previous bath. To make sure that Brookynella Hostillis has been eliminated you need to give the fish 1 x 1 hour bath per day to a total 5 baths.
Add a broad spectrum anti bacterial remedy, to the QT to avoid any secondary infection as a result of the broken skin the Brookynella Hostillis parasite causes as it leaves the fish.
Keep the fish in QT for a week after the last formaldehyde bath anti-bacterial remedy you choose has run it's full course as directed by the manufacturer. And keep up the 50% daily water changes. Remember to dose the new incoming water volume, not the whole tank volume, with the correct amount of your antibacterial remedy at every change.
After this week was up I transferred the fish to a Recovery Tank, a Aqua-One AR126 in this case, which had full filtration.
Notes: Make sure you have plenty of 25ppt water mixed and ready to go everyday.
Formaldehyde is nasty stuff, use it in well ventilated areas and always, always read the manufacturers safety instruction on the bottle.
Formaldehyde drives off oxygen so remember to keep the water well aerated when the fish is in the bath.
Extreme Caution: Never, ever be tempted to add Formaldehyde at 200ppm to your reef tank or any system containing Live Rock. Most, if not all, life in the system WILL be destroyed