HQI or Standard ballast?

chris l

Still haven't made up my mind totally on my lighting upgrade. I know I am going with the 250w and the AB bulb but now not sure on the ballast. Standard PFO is $128 and the HQI is $165 which includes everything except the bulb and reflector which I don't need. Any input would be great!!

richard rendos

I have not used the HQI, but I have heard so many things about them that I will be buying them for my next tank. I want to see if all the hype is true. For the difference in price, I would say go for it unless cost is a major issue.

chris l

Golfish, its going on a 44g pent. along with the 175w halide I already have. I am planning on trying some more sps corals along with a clam or two.

chris l

So are you saying that 165 is to much for the single HQI. If I were to go with the 400 I am concerned with the heat problem. Already having a 175w and 15w no light in my canopy that would be 590w. Don't you think that would be an overkill.

chris l

If I remember correctly SWF.com doesn't carry lighting. The prices from the other place you suggested are just for the ballast. The $165 I said about includes the sockets and all of the wiring too.

chris l

Golfish, the radium bulbs you are talking about. Are they the 20k bulbs. If so how blue are they?

marinemarty

hey Guys,
I am confused, can corals be kept with just a MH light? and are blues just needed for SPECIAL corals? For example would 2 250 watt MH be enough for a 75 gallon tank?
Thanxs
Martin

josh

Marty,
Yes corals can be kept under MH only with no problems.
Your lighting would be fine but I would lean toward some nice 400 watt radiums.....you can never have enough light!

chris l

Golfish, so it looks like to set up the 400w it would be around $185 for everything but the bulb. I found the 20k radium for $82. Does this sound about right. Also for the HQI should I use the double ended bulbs? TIA

john f

They don't make a double ended 400 watt Radium so you have no choice but the single ended.
Single ended bulbs are every bit as good as double ended, Richard Harker put that to bed finally in last months Advanced Aquarist Magazine.
One more thing to consider: The 400 watt electronic ballast.
This runs the Radiums the same color as the PFO-HQI from what I have been told. I use the PFO-HQI and am happy, but this ballast is not really running the bulbs to spec. I suspect the e-ballast is better for bulb life and certainly runs much cooler than the PFO-HQI. I think an e-ballast costs $15 more than the PFO-HQI.
John