HQI vs Mogul

rook

Ok,
Once again the search for the ideal light continues.
For my 29 gal current tank and 90 or 120 gal future upgrade, which is better to get?
I see a lot of people like the hqi's. Are the more intense? Seems like a pain in the behind to have to get a uv shield? Modul's can just be put over a tank in the open, correct?
How about heat, is the hqi going to create more heat problems?

rook

"parppfd " ????
I do not plan on buying a fixture, but just the parts and diy installation into the canopy. I am not sure how to set up a uv shield in that situation without either covering up the tank and causing possible heat problems, or to constrictively enclosing the mh and causing heat problems.
On the other hand, if I use pc's with the mh, don't they also need some shield protection from the water???

rook

Any other thoughts?
I am think of a mogul just to avoid installing a uv shield. Seems like the glass would create unwanted heat problems.

josh

Go with an HQI - for the reasons that Mac already mentioned.
You can get a pendent with the glass shiled already installed, so don't worry about that.

rook

Old Yellow and Coral Collector, Why??
Does it make a difference if I tell you that I am going to install it into a diy hood, and thus will not be using one of the suggested pendent lights noted above. Therefore having the hqi may pose problematic in incorporating a uv shield without creating an excess heat problem.

ironreef

What bulb are you gonna use? If you use 10-20k I would get hqi ballast. You can run mogul bulbs 10-20k and get close to the same intesity as duel end. So you can run either. If you use 6.5k then you need a regular ballast which runs better than a mv. But sounds like your diy for a 10k. Run a hqi ballast ans mogul buld. Theres ppl who use mogul and duel in the same tank can't tell the diff bettween any of the coral or light in the tank. But the hqi ballast you can run either if you change your mind. The regular ballast you can run most all bulbs but intesity may not be the same

rook

So I could run a mogul bulb on a hqi e-ballast? I have not decided yet what spectrum I will do. Either a 10or 12k with two 55w pc actinics, or a 20k radium alone.
I would like to have seperate actinics so they can turn on a hour or two prior to the mhs but, that depends on if I can find a way to convert my JBJ pc hood to a retrofit diy style, which requires switching the endcaps to water tight endcaps. Not sure if that is possible or not yet?

rook

Ok then, I will get an hqi e-ballast, and a mogul 250watt bulb. Any suggestion on which brand to get or not get?
Oh yeah, the hqi will run a raduim buld too right?
Any other thoughts on my pc problem?