HUGE Screw up!

topheraz

I think i just potentially made a huge screw up. My tank has been set up for almost a week. I got my water tested and my ammonia was just below .1. I was told that if i wanted to do a water change and then i would be ready to put something in in a couple of days. So im making my water and was right on with the salinity. Put the water in my tank and realized i didnt add the declorinater!!! So i quickly added it in my tank, i mean not a second after putting my water in. Did i just screw up everything or will i be ok?? I probably went a little overkill on the circulation so im thinking i might be fine since i am moving so much water for my size tank. Please tell me im ok. If not what should i do?

E

essop3

The chlorine should be ok, but don't add anything until ammonia is zero. Doing anymore water changes will make the cycle even longer. Are you testing for nitrites and nitrates too?

puffer32

i doubt your tank is cycled yet, less then a week isn't long enough unless you had a tremendous amount of bacteria to jump start a cycle.

vlondi

I would also reconsider the type of water you are using. A dechlorinator suggests tap water which isn't that great for aquariums. You run the risk of bad algae blooms or introducing toxins into your system not limited to nitrates, chlorine, copper, or anything else that is bad.
Local fish stores usually sell water to use, often with the salt pre-mixed for you. A reverse osmosis unit would be best although distilled water would be a great step up from tap.

chevcam

Hey essop3 AKA hokie hater:D How do you remove all that brown alge I to used tap water just recently and i have a lot of brown alge, I have since ordered a RO/DI system should be here by the next water change! OH and BTW GO DUCKS U OF O

jacknjill

your tank hasnt even cycled yet. you shouldnt be doing water changes yet anyways. you cant add anything to the tank for a couple more weeks.

trainfever

You tell him Jill, or is it Jack? :D I had brown algae for a while also. It was caused by the phosphates in the tap water I was using. There is a thing called Phosguard that I used. It is granular in form. You put it in a filter bag and place the bag into your filter. It got rid of the brown alge in no time. I have also switched to RO water since then.