hundreds of feather dusters

I took the old flashlight just now and was looking in my sump. Don't ask me why, I just was. :) My sump has 3 sections. The water first comes in the first section and goes through a filter pad. Then the water goes into the next section where my protein skimmer is, and then the water travels to the next section where the return pump takes it back to the tank. In the first section I have hundreds of tiny feather dusters. There are hundreds of petrified tubes attached to the bottom and sides of the first section. I found this to be quite interesting. Would it be possible to transfer some of these feather dusters to the actual tank and not the sump? Or should I just let it be?

rickt4du

Same deal here, When I clean out the filter box I scape them all away and dump them in the tank. I have at leat 100 in the tank now. Most are white but, a couple are brown and some are kinda red. Pretty neat to have.

indy1

I have a lot of white and red ones all over my rock. I had bad algae about a year ago, and when that cleared up my live rock exploded with life.

nm reef

return chamber on my skimmer has tons of lil feather dusters......and there are lots in the main tank also.........way I figure it is that my system is gradually setting up its own lil eco-system....so I let it balance itself.......I don't mess with 'em and won't until a problem begins to develope

shel

I also have tons of feather dusters. Mine are in the overflow. Also their is these clear jelly blobs growing in their with the feather dusters. The blob things hold a little bit of sand. The top looks like a sea squirt. I don't know what these things are, but they do not seem to be hurting anything. I just leave them be. Any body know about these blob things?
Shel

flydan

Shel, Any time anyone mentions little "blob" things I think of bubble algae. Don't know fur sure, but could be. :cool:

indy1

It's not bubble algae. The blobs are white to clear in color. I have a few in my tank. I also have sponges that appear to. That's the greatest thing about reef tanks.

dugan

I have those white blobby things too! No clue what they are though...?
I agree that the surprises are one of the best things about this hobby. :D
Katie