Hunting Rifle

tx reef

I would get a 7mm-08. I got one for my wife (no it is not a girl gun
)
I used a little last year and love it.

seannmelly

i would say a 223 or 270 even though i use a 30 0t 6 up here in ny. as for jerky we use 1 whole deer just for jerky, hot and spicy teriyaki and sweet are some flavors. when friends come over thats the first thing they grab and always ask can i have some more of that

shogun323

Originally Posted by seannmelly
i would say a 223 or 270 even though i use a 30 0t 6 up here in ny. as for jerky we use 1 whole deer just for jerky, hot and spicy teriyaki and sweet are some flavors. when friends come over thats the first thing they grab and always ask can i have some more of that
I got a Winchester 270 from the Gunshow this weekend. I pick it up on Thursday. Feel free to send some of that jerky anytime!!!

ajwiggz

270 is a good gun. We don't have boar up here in northern maine so i don't know much about them but I know alot of people up here use 30-06's and love them. In fact my father uses a 7mm Mag which he bought for moose but has been using it to hunt deer the last 10 years or so since he has had it. He's shot 5 out of his 6 deer with it 2 of the 5 were over 200lbs. Anyways i guess my point was that atleast up here 30-06's are lugged around in thick forest all the time so i don't see why it would have been a problem to lug them around down there... It may hover be to big for a bore? that i wouldn't know.

tank watch

I have a Winchester Short Magnum, Super Shadow in Stainless, 300 cal.
sweeeeeet. light, deadly accurate, not too long, easy on the shoulder believe it or not. love it, love it, love it.

otter

Congrats, You can't go wrong with a Winchester 270. It is has become a very popular round. As said before, it has flat trajectory and can handle most types of dear. I started with a Marlin .30-.30 and love it. I just bought a Marlin
.30-06 for longer range and more versatility hear in So Cal. Did your Winchester come with scope?

hot883

Wade, .308 is an awesome round too. I have shot deer at 400+ yrds with my Ruger MKII .308. I harvested 5 deer last year. I donated all but 1 and had that one processed. I get them ground up with beef talon added and I use that for jerky, chili, stuffed peppers etc. Barry

kmc

Can't go wrong with a .270. I would probably have suggested a 30-06 in your situation for no other reason than you have a wider range of bullet weights available in both hand loads and factory loaded ammo in the 30 calibre.

shogun323

Barry, Nice Deer!! I shot a buddy of mines 308 and loved it.
Thanks KMC!! I may just have to get a 30-06 for a second rifle. I can't wait to pick it up.
Otter, thanks it did come with a scope. It's a Winchester Model 70 .270. I can't remember the brand of the scope though. I'll know on Thursday. Our county law mandates a 3 day waiting period.
I'll have to take a pic of my growing arsenal sometime.
~S&W 9mm model 669
~Glock model 22 .40 cal
~AA Arms AP-9 (preban) 9mm
~double barrel 20 guage - (was Grandfathers I won't shoot it)
~Sears and Robucks .22 - (was my dad's as a kid for hunting quayle, I dont shoot this one either)
~Winchester Model 70 .270 cal
~Keltec model P-3AT .380
Here is the AP-9. It's a piece of junk but looks cool!!!!!!

otter

Nice deer Barry. What state are you in? I hunt in CA, but never get anything. I hunt in MO every year where I get my deer.

hot883

Originally Posted by otter
Nice deer Barry. What state are you in? I hunt in CA, but never get anything. I hunt in MO every year where I get my deer.
Thanks, I live Northern Oklahoma

kmc

How is it that the blood ALWAYS gets on your boots?
You shoot a deer and two things are automatically guaranteed.
1. The tongue is coming out.
2. You're gonna have blood on your boots
Then there's always the crowd that gathers around to tell YOU how to clean the thing while THEY watch.
And then your nose starts to itch

sig45

Originally Posted by shogun323
Barry, Nice Deer!! I shot a buddy of mines 308 and loved it.
Thanks KMC!! I may just have to get a 30-06 for a second rifle. I can't wait to pick it up.
Otter, thanks it did come with a scope. It's a Winchester Model 70 .270. I can't remember the brand of the scope though. I'll know on Thursday. Our county law mandates a 3 day waiting period.
I'll have to take a pic of my growing arsenal sometime.
~S&W 9mm model 669
~Glock model 22 .40 cal
~AA Arms AP-9 (preban) 9mm
~double barrel 20 guage - (was Grandfathers I won't shoot it)
~Sears and Robucks .22 - (was my dad's as a kid for hunting quayle, I dont shoot this one either)
~Winchester Model 70 .270 cal
~Keltec model P-3AT .380
Here is the AP-9. It's a piece of junk but looks cool!!!!!!

we need a benelli or Beretta shotgun before you go off buying a 30.06 rifle.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by hot883
Wade, .308 is an awesome round too. I have shot deer at 400+ yrds with my Ruger MKII .308. I harvested 5 deer last year. I donated all but 1 and had that one processed. I get them ground up with beef talon added and I use that for jerky, chili, stuffed peppers etc. Barry

5 deer legally...........hmmm what state you hunting in i have to go there. anyways nice buck

fender

.243 or the .270 gets my vote. Big enough to do the job. Light enough to carry and be fun to shoot. 30-30 is ok, especially for hauling in the brush but is anything but flat shooting. I would recommend looking for a pump or lever action rather than a bolt for the hogs.

shogun323

Originally Posted by fender
.243 or the .270 gets my vote. Big enough to do the job. Light enough to carry and be fun to shoot. 30-30 is ok, especially for hauling in the brush but is anything but flat shooting. I would recommend looking for a pump or lever action rather than a bolt for the hogs.
I am curious as to why for the pump or lever action for the hogs?