Hurrcain Shut off POWER - HELP

imfsub12

Hello the nice hurican shut our power off in nova scotia - halifax... I'm in florida right now and the fiance is at home battling it out...
Powers out.. we have a 29 g tank - NO GENERATOR in a apt building.. power should be back out around 6pm not sure when we lost the power sometime after 1am
we right now have blankets on it, what ever hot water we can get out of the tap, 8 bag in the tank trying to keep it a current temp staedy.
Our tank temp right now is 74F...
Need any advice i can get and HOW LOW WE CAN GET IT BEOFRE I NEED TO PANIC....
Thanks ANYOE PLEASE HELP!

snaredrum

If you have no generator I would at least get a battery powered air pump. Have her every couple of hours move the water off the top with a cup. Dip the cup in and pour back in. Oxygen would be my main concern along with the temp. This should help some. Good Luck!

lovethesea

we used foil and then blankets. At the time we did not have the battery pumps as backup, so I took my whisk and stirred up the water every hour.
We made it through, my method was out of despiration as we were hit with an ice storm last winter.
Don't panic yet......

imfsub12

Originally Posted by lovethesea
we used foil and then blankets. At the time we did not have the battery pumps as backup, so I took my whisk and stirred up the water every hour.
We made it through, my method was out of despiration as we were hit with an ice storm last winter.
Don't panic yet......

good info so far, i told her to use the turkey baster to squish the water around..... but might use some of your trickes to...

buckster71

Imagine having the power shut off for 10 days.
After 1 hurricane my house was like a sauna and will never forget it.
Since then and now I have some aquariums....
1) dedicated Generator sized to fit just my aquariums and one to run the rest of the house
2) CHILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can't stress it enough)
3) SECOND FRIDGE FULL OF BEER!.......CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH!