Hurricane = Big Problems!!!

ackermsb

I live in Baltimore and it appears as though the Hurricane is heading on a collision course with us. I am frightened (not for me or my house) but for my tank b/c if I lose power my poor fish are screed. Ive looked into a generator but every one within a 100 mile radius has been claimed (There are none at Home depot Lowes, etc either). Of course people around here freak out when anything out of the ordinary happens.
How long will my fish survive withough any heat or filtration. My guess is 24 hours. Hopefully we wont be affected but if we are wish my luck. Also best wishes for any other tanks out there in path of the storm.
Check these pics out (The first is just unreal):
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...403-2115ze.jpg
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...91403-11pm.jpg

nas19320

I too am getting a little worried. We have been hit with a lot of rain today and it has knocked out the power several times and I hope this hurricane is not gonna be any worse. Good thing is that I am lucky and have a generator. Temp really shouldn't be much of a problem right now, my tank stays at about 80-82 all the time and the heater never comes on. You could buy a battery powered air pump but I don't know how well they work. I have one but have never used it.

That first one is sick! We're not really all that worried up here yet (in NJ), or at least I'm not. If I see in the next few days that we'll definitely get hit it'll be scary. The last time we got hit by anything even close to that was when Floyd came our way. By the time it got us though it was just a tropical depression but that was enough to dump tons of rain. The next town over from me had flooding that submersed some areas completely. I actually watched a small creek flood to the point where a nearby stop sign was completely submerged.
If we get hit, I hope it just dies down a little first... or maybe a lot.

leopard_babe

after the power outage i bought a battery operated pump. It was like 10 bucks each. I have one for the skimmer and one for the return. Then I found a batter water heater. They had a lot of supplies at the local pet stores after the first power outage. You might wanna check. I found some great deals. :D

jp0379

People, listen. I live in New Orleans. We've gotten hit by hurricanes such as Betsy in '65 which was nowhere near what this one is apparently going to be when it hits land, and people (such as ourself) lost EVERYTHING. Camille, which hit the coast of Mississippi, WIPED OUT houses. Completely. Literally left lots up and down the coast with no houses anywhere near. If this thing is as strong or close to as strong as it is now when it hits, GET OUT. I am not being overly dramatic. Because you've obviously never been through one, you dont' know how devastating it can be. I'm in law enforcement, and tropical storms that have passed through here have wiped houses out in the low-lying areas. TRUST ME. Get out before it comes if it turns out it comes your way.
In the meantime, I'm praying that it just takes a U-Turn and heads out the other way so that no one gets it.

ackermsb

Now you scaring me a little. I guess the only good thing is that I live in the city and the buildings will help control the wind a little. the only bad thing is that I live a few blocks from the water and a hell will break loose if the harbor begins to flood. that would be a site to see ... people riding there boats through the streets

nas19320

Yeah that is a little scary but I think I will be ok as long as I prepare. I live fairly far inland and on a large hill so I have that on my side.

Originally posted by ackermsb
Now you scaring me a little. I guess the only good thing is that I live in the city and the buildings will help control the wind a little.

WRONG!
It's been scientifically proven time and time again that when the winds whip around buildings, they become concentrated as they are forced through the bottlenecks...
Every now and then, there are programs on television that show models with smoke & wind machines, that point out what I described above. The reasoning for stating this, is so that none foolishly gets a false sense of security with having large buildings in front of them.

michaeltx

I agree it can really cause some damage even in the city. the wind actually strengthens coming around building and such. you have a low wind area on the back side but around the corner is coming across faster than it was originally.
I hope everyone the best in the areas that are in the damage path. and if it looks as though its going to at full strength dont take any chances get out and then come back to and pick up the pieces.
Mike

lovethesea

jp0379, you are correct.....this is mother nature at her best. Unless you have been in one of these, you will never know the power. Even a tropical depression can have huge storm surges and tons of rain. I never had a clue until we were in one and now we have been in several.(comes with the territory of loving the water so much) Even if she starts to break up, you will still be dealing with rain, wind. The wind will down your power lines unless they are buried. It doesn't hurt to be prepared, even if it doesn't stay as strong. We live in a tornado town and we never get a lot of warning but still try to be prepared. Simple things, batteries, WATER and radio. The only good news with this girl is that she will be coming into cooler waters and may lose some steam. I believe it was HUGO or Andrew, I don't remember, my Dad who lives north of Atlanta lost tons of shingles on his home due to the system going inland and stalling. Try to find a battery heater, I don't think they cost too much.
good luck, just listen to what they are telling you, by tomorrow night you should know which way she will be heading, at least its taking its time.

alex.m

I am in Newport News- Hampton area wich is right on "Isabel's" way and no generators available anywhere. We spend entire day to find one! and -- no luck whatsoever! But i think i do have an idea! Maybe pretty stupid but might work. If my car will not be "GONE WITH A WIND" i am going to run it on a parking lot and will plug in one of those power inverters from a Pep Boys 12V to 110V. through the extention cord into the house just to keep the tank running( my biggest worry) and see how far i can get with that. Honestly---a little scared.
Alex.

jp0379

I'm glad you guys are scared. You SHOULD be. Too many people take these things for granted and just figure its a "really bad storm". Trust me, its not a "really bad storm", its a friggin' beast. The tidal surge alone, which occurs on the east, in this case north side, will do millions of dollars of damage and take many lives, if its a cat. 4 or 5. I just heard its a 4, so maybe it'll be down to a 3 by the time it hits, which is STILL a lot to worry about. As I said, I'm not trying to scare anyone, because you should be scared. This isnt' a lot of rain and some wind. Its flooding and winds strong enough to take the roof off of you house.

shanev

For your tank if you cant find a generator, you can find abattery operated air pump.
Or buy a power invertor and hook it up to your car battery and run your car.
I went through Hurricane Alecia in 1983 which was only a 3. I live 80-90 miles away from the water and it still knocked down tons of trees at my house! Very scary, I would get out of Isabelle's way if the authoritys recommend it. Keep in mind hurricanes tend to spawn numerous tornadoes near landfall also!

lovethesea

also please be careful with the car ideas. Don't forget about carbon minoxcide. This probably is not a good idea, since if there are mass outages you will be running your car for several days on end. Please put your safety first. This includes driving. Be very careful of streets with a lot a water. You don't know whats under that water anymore. Streets can be washed out. Yes our tanks are a major investment and we love these creatures but its not worth risking your life over. Make sound decisions and think them through to the end. Put yourself/family first. If you have to drive inland for a couple days do it. Once they start announcing hurricane routes memorize them. Bridges and causeways will be closed at some point in the game, so don't wait too long. I have been in traffic several miles long getting out and that was 2 days before one was due in. You can't even realize what this can bring, it will completely shock you at the raw power of these things. Mother Nature will win every time. Be safe and watch this from TV somewhere else.

alex.m

Originally posted by lovethesea
Yes our tanks are a major investment and we love these creatures but its not worth risking your life over. Make sound decisions and think them through to the end. Put yourself/family first.
Totally agree!!! Be careful! i hope we, our familys and our tanks will survive!!!!

On the flip side, you could always overstock your tank with scallops, shrimp, and red snapper... Then eat like a king while riding out the storm! :D j/k
As mentioned by others, to hell with the aquarium and house... While that stuff can all be replaced, your life can't! :eek:

cool clown

As far as the hurricane goes put yourself & your family first, fish second. I do have one suggestion for your fish though. You can buy a deep cycle battery(used in RV's and boats), battery charger and a power inverter. Plug your filters and powerheads in and that should keep the water moving for a few days. plus when the power is on you can charge your battery without running your car. Good luck and hope it misses everyone.

lovethesea

coolclown....are these things we can keep on hand and switch over quickly? (as long as the battery is charged?) Like I said, we live in stormy area. Especially the spring and the fish are always a concern. (us first of course) We have been out sometimes for 8-10 hours. Winter brings concern too...we get lots of ice sometimes.
Thanks for the info. This is nice to have, the East Coast power thing was a wake up call that this can happen at any moment.

Actually, the best possible solution would be to buy and hook up (with modifications) a good sump pump battery backup system.
These are designed to constantly remain charged and automatically kick on when a relay is tripped due to a power failure. Don't waste your time using the batteries they sell with the systems, because a deep cycle marine batter is about 1/3 the price, and has a much greater run time.
Obviously the more equipment plugged into the system, the less time you'll have, so I would suggest only the mandatory pumps and heaters be connected to this.