Hurricane Irene Coming

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So, any SWF friends in the path of this storm? If you are, let us know.
I lived in the Fla Keys most of my life and have seen many hurricanes. Cat. 1 is not exactly fun, but its not worthy of all the hysterical weather reporting going on in the media.
While the windspan of this storm is huge, the actual hurricane force is only about 30-40 miles around the eye. Obviously coastal people need to prep their homes and then get away from the surge. Water surge is the #1 killer in hurricanes
Hopefully, it will stay a 1.
Here is a awesome picture of US1, Key West, FL Hurricane Wilma 2005, 1 mile from my home. It is the only road into the Keys and in to Key West. Obviously, this day, no road in sight. This is the ocean not just flooding.

bigarn

I'm in Jersey about 40 miles from the coast and about a half hour drive to NYC. I stocked up on beer and put the outdoor furniture in the garage. Bring it!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
40 miles inland is actually pretty good distance. You may have a power outage, so don't forget the ice and cooler.

travelerjp98

I think everyones too hyped up about it... I think that yes, people close to the shore should be concerned, but I think for the most part there is too much hype about it.. like my state (Pennsylvania) ordered a state of emergency for the state.. its like, really? As if there is gonna be major damage here, hours from the shore? Not to mention that all the gas stations around me have lines of cars and that all the grocery stores are running low on basically everything... calm down people!

gemmy

I am in the path of the storm. Luckily, I am not in a flood prone area. I will have to contend with power outages and wind damage. The ground is completely saturated from all the rain that we have been receiving, so that will most likely cause a lot of downed trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/387565/hurricane-irene-coming#post_3411135
I think everyones too hyped up about it... I think that yes, people close to the shore should be concerned, but I think for the most part there is too much hype about it.. like my state (Pennsylvania) ordered a state of emergency for the state.. its like, really? As if there is gonna be major damage here, hours from the shore? Not to mention that all the gas stations around me have lines of cars and that all the grocery stores are running low on basically everything... calm down people!
Do you know what a state of emergency does? It frees up resources that will be needed to be able to address the inevitable flooding that will happen (there are many flood prone areas in Pennsylvania), downed trees, power outages and wind damage. You do realize that much of the area has received an upwards of 10 inches of rain just in the month of August and the ground is saturated. This will make trees more prone to falling down.

dragonzim

I am also directly in the path of the storm and since I live a little over a mile from the coast we were told to evacuate. Normally I wouldn't have bothered but with my young twins we figured it was better to be safe. We've over at my mothers house which is a bit further inland. So far nothing but a little rain here. I think they were way too early with the evacuation orders but I guess they just wanted to make sure people had plenty of time to get out of flood prone areas. They arent predicting the major storm to hit this area till tonight into tomorrow.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I just read that a boy was killed in VA due to a downed tree. That is very sad.
When I saw the storm come in to contact with some dry air yesturday, I knew that it would not hold up as a big storm. Its a pretty Low Cat 1 now.

gemmy

My sister lives in Virginia, and she is without power. She said that trees are down everywhere. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the storm.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387565/hurricane-irene-coming#post_3411306
I agree its not the wind, its the rain, and power outages, and downed tree. Be safe everyone
Downed trees are usually really bad in my area. A couple of years ago, lightning struck a tree on our property and it was barely hanging on RIGHT ABOVE OUR HOUSE... I mean BARELY!!! And it was a huge tree! and then one time we were driving through a storm (STUPID IDEA!!!) and a tree fell right in front of our car... by the time the car stopped, we were 1/2" away from the downed tree. Not to mention that during a storm last year, 3 trees fell on my neighbors house.. luckily they were OK, but with $30,000 in damages.

meowzer

HOLY COW........1.5 million people are out of power over 5 states they just said.....and more to come

bet a lot of people are glad they evacuated now

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387565/hurricane-irene-coming#post_3411403
HOLY COW........1.5 million people are out of power over 5 states they just said.....and more to come

bet a lot of people are glad they evacuated now
that would be very difficult to evacuate, we have 2 dogs, a cat, a crap load of water critters....... jeesh, I'de loose my mind

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/387565/hurricane-irene-coming#post_3411406
that would be very difficult to evacuate, we have 2 dogs, a cat, a crap load of water critters....... jeesh, I'de loose my mind

Iagree......My cats, dogs and valuables would come with me....everything else would have to stay behind :(
Depending on what the issue was, I always figure we would load the camper and GOOOOO haha