Hurricane Irene Coming

kiefers

my wife would agree, she would be baggin fish and hurding animals and kids. I would be the one grabbing everything else or saying screw it, I'm stayin'

meowzer

bagging fish...LOL....sorry, BUT they would have to stay here :(
NOW if I could not take the cat I would NOT leave......I'd die with my Meowzer before I left him behind

rainbow grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387565/hurricane-irene-coming/20#post_3411416
bagging fish...LOL....sorry, BUT they would have to stay here :(
NOW if I could not take the cat I would NOT leave......I'd die with my Meowzer before I left him behind
if haverhill was hit by a hurricane here would be my chocies get all the cats (i have 7) in the car or stay at home same as you meowzer but then again my mum would probably MAKE me leave with or without the cats LOL

dragonzim

Still kicking here! The storm is winding down a bit but right now is high tide along most of the south coast of LI so the storm surge is what has people concerned now. They were reporting 26 foot high waves at the bouys offshore and the news is showing a LOT of flooding along low lying coastal areas. The storm surge coming on land is about 4 feet right now. My house is at 10 feet above sea level so it should be fine. I am currently at my mothers place, further inland and its still rainign and blowing pretty good. Really wish I knew what was happening at my house. I have a lot of trees and the ground was already soft from a very rainy august.
Right now it looks like the circular hurricane shape is breaking up so there is no true eye anymore, but if there was, we're still about a half hour away from when it would be making landfall so its not over yet...

stdreb27

guys, about your fish, the best protection is a generator. However, If you're not about to get your hands on one. You can last about a few days just doing the pouring a gallon or so of water from your tank into your tank. But do it like 5 times in a row and your good for about an hour (depending on fishload etc.) I also had about 20 gallons of water made, and I did water changes when my parameters got bad. I kept the old water, filtered it through a filter sock and used Prime. The real issue was for us down here in the south was heat. That is what eventually got me. I tried 2 liter frozen water bottles. What I'd do differently would be to use evap as a cooler, you know like those algae mats?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I never left during a hurricane. I kept my FO tank alive for a week without electricity by using about 10 battery operated airstone pumps and floating zip-lock bags of ice (as needed).
When I went with a reef, I got a gen.

travelerjp98

well I had no electricity from around 7 pm last night and it JUST CAME ON.. damage is pretty minimal here, but a tree limb fell in my neighbors yard.. lots of debris everywhere. I couldn't sleep all night because of the tornado warnings going on and off, and I was in this weird 75% awake 25% asleep mode... listening to the battery powered radio that was right next to me in bed. 2 tornadoes were in my area, none affecting me.

travelerjp98

so my fish and I were without power for 25 hrs. Besides a rapid drop in temperature that I was concerned about (10 degrees overnight), all the fish seem to be OK..

dragonzim

We made it through with no damage to our house or property. My area didnt get hit too hard and I know around where BTL lives and I dont think they got it too bad either. Most of the damage and flooding happened further west on LI and upstate NY and New England are having some pretty major flooding right now.

wangotango

Almost half of the New York State thruway is closed. Was supposed to head back to school in RI but now it's a waiting game... (and a longer vacation haha)