Husband went impulse buying

vkuroczka

So my husband went and bought a snowflake eel for my tank. (I never said I wanted one). Well anyways, I have nas. snails and blue leg hermit crabs in my tank.... he'll eat them won't he? What do I do???? I also have a flamehawk fish and two damsels. I'm currently in the process of changing from cc to ls.
I have an 80 gal tank

spanko

Quote====
Snowflake Eel Profile
Family:
Muraenidae (Moray Eels)
Scientific Name:
Echidna nebulosa (Ahl, 1789)
Other Common Names:
Clouded, Nebulous, and Starry Eel or Moray Eel.
Distribution:
Hawai'i southward to Australia, westward through the islands of the Indo-Pacific to the East Indies, and across the Indian Ocean to the coast of Africa.
Habitat:
Provide with many places to hide, and ample room to move around. Because of this eel's size and strength, rock formations should be stacked firmly to prevent structures from becoming dislodged.
Average Size:
Attains at least three feet (36 inches) in length.
Minimum Tank Size Suggested:
No less than 75 gallons, because it can outgrow a small aquarium in a rather short period of time.
Characteristics and Compatibility:
Although considered to be less-aggressive than other saltwater morays, the Snowflake Eel can become very pugnacious at feeding time. With poor eyesight but a keen sense of smell, when food is detected it emerges from hiding and aggressively searches it out. This moray is best kept with similar in nature aggressive fish species, and ones larger in size than the eel to discourage predation. Can live communally with other eels if plenty of room and shelter is provided. However, an established resident my become aggressive towards a newly added smaller eel, sometimes resulting in cannibalism.
Diet and Feeding:
A predatory bottom-dweller, this carnivore will actively go in search of food. With blunt teeth for crushing its favorite prey, crustaceans, the Snowflake Eel also eats fish. Juvenile and adult specimens alike readily adapt to aquarium life, accepting all types of fresh and frozen fares including clam, crab, shrimp, squid, scallop and fish meat. Usually if well fed, by feeding several times a week of an amount of food to satisfy the eel's appetite, it ignores other tank inhabitants. It is not uncommon for eels to go into a "hybernation" period, often hiding and not eating for several weeks, or longer.
Reef Tank Suitability:
Not considered reef safe. Will eat crustaceans and fish tankmates.

splatee

We have two snowflakes that are around 24 inches and i have hermit carbs. I have never seen them eat any crabs or show any interest in them. We have a few damsels and a small tomato clown and they do not bother them. I recently added a small picasso trigger and i actually saw one of the snowflakes sneak up on it a snatch it up and pull it in the rocks. This was after the lights went out and the fish were in their sleeping spots. The trigger swam out but did not make it. Now i had'nt fed the eels in a few days so they were probally a little on the hungry side. I have never seen them go after the other small fish though. I do add hermits every few months though because of a Black Hawain trigger that snacks on them. I find that if you keep the eels well fed they generally don't bother with other fish. I feed ours shrimp and krill every other day or so.