Hydnophora

dallas03

Anyone got requirements for this i.e. lighting, flow, ect. Any help would be appreciated. My tank is 55gal with ~185 watts

kelly

Likes medium to strong water movement, prefers turbulent flow, requires strong lighting. According to Foster & Smith, "This versatile species will adapt to lower lighting in the reef aquarium, and can be maintained under T5, VHO, or Power Compact lighting systems."

reefkprz

Indo-Pacific - Islands of the Indopacific including Fiji, Tonga, Solomon Islands, and the Great Barrier Reef.
Intense lighting is recommended for best coloration and overall health. Use either Metal Halide lighting or a large bank of high output fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs. If not provided proper lighting, the colors of Hydnophora may fade, but worse the coral may not receive enough energy and perish.
Moderate water movement is recommended.
Hydnophora relies heavily on the products of their zooxanthellae. This coral may benefit from the addition of phytoplankton as a food source. While the coral itself may consume some phytoplankton, the real benefit is the increased population of rotifers that feed on the phytoplankton. Rotifers make a good meal to a vast array of corals. If phytoplankton is not readily available, you may attempt to feed the coral finely ground meaty foods.

ratrod

Hydnophora grows so fast in my reef I break little chunks off and use it for glue between LR that I want to fasten together. I tried to post a pic today of a peice I have about the size of a two liter pop bottle that shot out a six inch or so spider web of a net lookin thing attacking a nearby star polp coral

teen

has a nasty sting, it will kill other corals if they touch eachother. ive heard its realtively easy to care for though.

krazekajin

can anybody provide a picture of the coral in question. Is this the bright orange or pink lacy looking tree like soft corals?

maxalmon

I have several in my DT, nasty coral to have as it can be very aggresive. I had a sting wars episode last week where one of my Hyndo's sent out those white stringy things and attacked a small ric that was about 2" away, totally wiped out the ric