Hydor flow deflectors ??

murph

I purchased three of these about three months ago and have even recommended them to others. Problem is they have all now stopped rotating. Have tried cleanings and vinegar baths but no luck.
Thought I would ask here in case I am missing something obvious about how to make these things last or if others have experienced the same problem.

speg

All they really are is a few gears and the main piece that rotates. Clean them up really good and then there should be no reason it still isnt spinning.

oxbeard

I have had one of mine to stop spinning. After disassembling to clean and check it over, I found that 2 teeth had broken from one of the gears. No hope for that one now.
Not sure what would make all of yours stop though. Did you make sure the deflector was seated all of the way down on the gear assembly? Not sure of anything else that would stop them since you have already cleaned them.

jamie814

I have one in my reef and it works great, The only problem is my snails manage to get on them and get wedged between it and the powerhead(guess they just want to ride a marry-go-round
) then I have to unplug it untill they move off of it. They have caused it to stop and just jerk a little back and forth when they get jammed on it but it always seems to start back up once thier off. No broken gears yet from them

jacklax

Hmmm...I've had 2 on the go for a few months now...(knocking on wood) and everything has been fine. What did they get clogged with? Periodically I'll find some gunk on the strainer...I'll knock it off with a toothbrush, and all is good. Oh yeah...my Coral Beauty will eat some of the algae off as it rotates. Kind of like a rotating cob of corn...then she gets blown across the tank when the nozzle comes around...funny!

funkyman

I have 5 total in two tanks. I like them a lot. No problems if maintained regularly, like anything else.

monalisa

I've asked this in a previous thread, but I can't find that thread again, so I'll ask again...I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. I would like to know how to properly install it. I tried once, but it didn't seem to do anything at all so I took it out. I haven't tried again because my critters were all acclimating to new lighting so I didn't want to disturb them any more than I had to. I have a Maxi Jet 600 that I will be putting it on, but I also have a MJ 1200 if that will work better with it.
Any suggestions very much appreciated.
Lisa :happyfish

funkyman

All you have to do is pick one of the 4 supplied adapters that will go in between the Hydor and the powerhead.

jacklax

Yeap...there should have been 4 black rubber adapters in the box. One side of the adapter fits on the hydor, the other fits on the powerhead outlet.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Jacklax
Oh yeah...I think the flo will only handle up to 300 gal/hour of flow. That 1200 might be too much.
this one was attached to a mag 12 with a 1 in return i used clear vinyl tubing to make my own adapter.i just pop mine apart wipe out any slime and put it back

murph

In my case it appears that the gearing on the pin that rest in the mechanism sideways and rotates the main part of the deflector has worn and in one case a missing teeth. Probably my own fault for running more GPH through it than recommended and placing on power heads and return lines without first shutting down the water going through them.
I wonder if they sell replacement parts.

monalisa

Originally Posted by funkyman
All you have to do is pick one of the 4 supplied adapters that will go in between the Hydor and the powerhead.

Hmmmm, yeah, that's what I did. I guess I'll have to take another look at it. It just didn't seem to be doing anything at all??
Lisa :happyfish

oxbeard

Originally Posted by Murph
In my case it appears that the gearing on the pin that rest in the mechanism sideways and rotates the main part of the deflector has worn and in one case a missing teeth. Probably my own fault for running more GPH through it than recommended and placing on power heads and return lines without first shutting down the water going through them.
I wonder if they sell replacement parts.
Yeah, I figured that's what happened to mine. The one I have with the broken teeth was first put on a PH that was too powerful. I don't use them above a MJ900 now.

jacklax

I was looking at the directions (yeap, I actually read those) when I typed...please don't take that wrong. Said the max flow was 310 gal/hour. You may be overpowering the equipment...thusing chewing the gears right off. I have mine on a Maxi 900 as well...and love them!