Hydor Koralia #4s' or #3s' for a 125g?

K

kpatrick

I am upgrading my flow and moving away from the Maxijet 1200s.
I am going to buy a couple of the Koralia pumps but not sure what size to get for my 125g. I am fully aware that more is usually better but I do not want to blast everything in the tank with #4s' if they are too powerful. Any recommendations?
I also have a 1200 GPH overflow box and I am debating to stick with the Mag12 (1200 gph) or upgrade to the Mag18. Just not sure if the 1200 gph overflow box can keep up with the Mag18 even with the loss in pressure pushing the water back up to the DT from the sump on the floor below it.
I still may need to supplement with additional flow depending on dead spots in the tank.
Thanks,

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by kpatrick
http:///forum/post/2853230
I am upgrading my flow and moving away from the Maxijet 1200s.
I am going to buy a couple of the Koralia pumps but not sure what size to get for my 125g. I am fully aware that more is usually better but I do not want to blast everything in the tank with #4s' if they are too powerful. Any recommendations?
I also have a 1200 GPH overflow box and I am debating to stick with the Mag12 (1200 gph) or upgrade to the Mag18. Just not sure if the 1200 gph overflow box can keep up with the Mag18 even with the loss in pressure pushing the water back up to the DT from the sump on the floor below it.
I still may need to supplement with additional flow depending on dead spots in the tank.
Thanks,

I don't have any koralia's but just looking at the design I don't think it really blasts anything as you don't have the water jet streaming out of a 1/2" hole. It is moving water over a large area...with this in mind I guess my determination would be based on the size of the pump...that is the one thing I don't like about the koralia's...size.
Oh, and I would stick with the mag12. JMHO

ca161406

i have 2 K4's and a mag drive 9.5
sands clean and nice smooth current everywhere
the koralias dont have harsh pressure, its kinda makes a pulsing cone shape flow

morval

go with 4's and if it sedem like to much just change the angle to create more turbulent flow. and i got with the mag 18 and put a ball valve in line to regulate the flow

mr_x

i would just buy a couple sure-flo kits for your mj's. it will make them 1200 gph and still be small.

spiderwoman

I've got 2 #4's and 1 #3 in my 75 and it's not too much flow. I'm going to get away from all of them though and go with 2 MJ 1200's with the sure-flow kits (1600gph each). Koralia's are very sensitive to power on/off and the grids in the end may come off easily.
For a 125 (72 inch long) I'd definitely put 4 #4's if I were you or 4 MJ's.

K

kpatrick

I currently have 4 maxijet 1200s' connected to a Redsea wavemaster and they work great but there are 2 issues that I am wanting to get away from.
1. I am tired of dealing with suction cups. I know the maxijets also come with the attachment to hang over the top lip of the tank to hold them in place but by looking at the sure flow kits, it appears that you have to use the suction cups after adding the kit??
2. Seems like about 50% of the time when I take the maxijets out to clean them, they never work properly when I put them back in the tank. They rattle real bad and make a lot of noise but never seem to go back together properly. I currently have 3 or 4 extra ones laying around that would never work properly after cleanig and putting back together. I even tried to mix the parts around to see if that worked but no luck.
Guess if I decide to go with the Koralias then I have a useless Wavemaster!

K

kpatrick

I see that you can get the Sure Grip magnets for the Maxijets but by the time you pay $20 for the magnet, $35 for the maxijet and Sure Flow kit then you really arent saving anything compared to the Koralia.

spiderwoman

http:///forum/post/2853618
I see that you can get the Sure Grip magnets for the Maxijets but by the time you pay $20 for the magnet, $35 for the maxijet and Sure Flow kit then you really arent saving anything compared to the Koralia.
Right you are not saving money wise. You get more flow with the sure flow kits + the whole setup takes less space inside the tank. I used to be a huge Koralia fan, but am no longer.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2853618
Have you seen the price for Koralias wavemaker?MJ+ Sureflo= more money for other things.Not to mention they generate more flow.

K

kpatrick

I have reviewed several peoples comments on other sites and there are several that mention that the sure flow attachments are noisy and dont seem to function properly. Any owners want to comment on that?
I am still open to keeping the Maxijet and adding the sure flow attachment but it just seems that more people are talking about how good the Koralias are.

veni vidi vici

I have 2- 1200 w/sureflo kits and they are quiet.However i understand if they are hooked up to a wavemaker they can be a little noisy when they start up.

K

kpatrick

Veni, do you use the magnets or the suction cups?
I would like to get more input on the magnets. If the magnets work then I may get 2-MaxiJet 900s' with the sure flow attachment (1600 gph x 2) and two-MaxiJet 1200s' without the sure flow (295gph x 2) and have them all run on the Wave Master. That along with the Mag Drive 12 (roughly 1200gph) should give me plenty of flow.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2853947
Veni, do you use the magnets or the suction cups?
I would like to get more input on the magnets. If the magnets work then I may get 2-MaxiJet 900s' with the sure flow attachment (1600 gph x 2) and two-MaxiJet 1200s' without the sure flow (295gph x 2) and have them all run on the Wave Master. That along with the Mag Drive 12 (roughly 1200gph) should give me plenty of flow.
I use the hanging rod with 1 suction cup.Never had a problem with it.

gatorwpb

the magnets are amazing and are absolutely worth the extra money. I have 2 MJ1200s with sureflow kits. the new kits come with a second impellar that is white. those white impellars are to be used with MJ1200s only and actually produce 2100 gph. I have two of these on the wavemaker function of my reefkeeper 2. Plus I have a modded tunze 6025 blowing full time behind my rocks.
anyway, ive never had a koralia, but if you have MJ1200s already, go with the sureflow kits with the white impellar. that extra impellar actually makes the MJ1200s run very silent. I do have a click sound when each one starts up, but the benefit to my corals outweighs the slight noise. also you wont have that sound if you run them full time.