Hydor Koralia Power Heads Shock Your Tank

halamaya

I just got off the phone with Hydor and after having me test all my power heads in different buckets and in my tank for about an hour. At the end of the testing he asked me how much my voltage meter cost and apparently it didn't cost enough. I bought an analog meter and I wasn't accurate enough with my numbers and they didn't add up exactly. What did add up was that 4 power heads of different sizes all Koralias put out almost 100 volts. He wanted me to send them back so they could do some testing on them of their own. I would have to send them back with my own money and that's all would come of it. They are past their two year warranty. I asked what I would get out of the deal and he said they would look at them but could do nothing if they are past their warranty date. They tried to con me into sending back faulty equipment that i would not be compensated for. I am very upset with the run around i was put through. I was on the phone sweating and running around doing everything he asked for an hour. All so he could reiterate to me the knowledge I bestowed upon him at the start of our conversation, (that the power heads are past their warranty date.) I would only suggest buying Hydor koralia power heads if you want them to eventually leak a ton of wattage into your tank over time.

flower

Hi,

What a bummer... The sad truth is that they don't make things like they used to, the old power heads would last for years and years, and the fact is... electricity and water don't mix very well.

There are lots of designs available for power heads, and Koralia brand are no longer the only ones with a magnet. I like the Seiko brand myself. Maybe if you changed brands, and sent them a seething letter explaining why they lost your business, you would feel better. The test equipment won't go to waste, now you will be able to find out right away if there is stray voltage, and not put your life or your tank at risk.

jay0705

I have to agree. I had the same issue the day after I bought it. I use it for mixing my sw for wc lol all its good for

halamaya

Thanks guys feeling better today! I wish he had just been more upfront with me. He said the shaft was wearing down the parts and now touching something in the motor. I suggested a warning of some kind about the expected time it would take before people start getting shocked; if this is a normal thing. Then he told me it wasn't a normal thing and they sell a ton of them with no problems. :rolleyes:

Joesiv419

I'm having the same issue. I have 3 of them in my tank and it is at ~60VAC to ground! They are years old and apparently I usually wear shoes when I touch my tank. Recently was messing with it while wearing socks (in the basement with thin carpet) and got quite a buzz when I touched the water. Got the DMM (not a cheap one) out and isolated the issue to all three hydor power heads. They are various sizes, models, and ages, but all Hydor. Each one is contributing ~20VAC to ground. I'm still using them until I can get some replacements, but just unplug them when messing with the tank. The fact that all three of mine are failed seems to indicate it is a significant issue. I agree with you that they should add a warning system if the failure rate is so high.