Hydor Koralia??

spider2928

I have a 55 gallon tank that will be FOWLR (volitan and barred moray) after it has finished its cycle. Right now I have 60lbs of live sand, 5lbs of live rock and 30lbs of base rock. Should I add a Koralia circulation pump to my tank? I know they are mainly used for corals and im not planning on having corals in my tank at this point but I also heard that they were good with keeping algae blooms down. I also like how the light reflects off the sand when tanks have a lot of circulation, just like in the ocean. Would it be worthwhile to get one? If so how many gallons per hour? They have 4 different sizes ranging from 400-1200.

frankthetank

I have a 3 in my 46g. I recommend it. It really doesn't end up being as much as you think. With the flow spread out into a wide pattern, go higher than what you think.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I have a 3 in my 46g. I recommend it. It really doesn't end up being as much as you think. With the flow spread out into a wide pattern, go higher than what you think.

I am about to add 3 4's and a 3 in my tank.

jtrzerocool

i have a #2 in my 55g and i think that i am going to add another one on the other side of the tank. the flow just isnt high enough in my tank yet.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by NigerBang

I am about to add 3 4's and a 3 in my tank.
I've already decided that when I buy my 135g at the new year I'll be putting 3 #4's in it too.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I've already decided that when I buy my 135g at the new year I'll be putting 3 #4's in it too.
They should be here within the next week or so...I will let you know how it turns out..

matt819

I have a #3 in my 55...with another smaller powerhead on the other side, and it's perfect. The flow is very random too...not sure if it's because the koralia is so wide, and the other isn't...or what. I have the return from my hob refugium in between there too though.

comlink

You know, I saw this in my nslfs (not-so-local-fs) a while ago and immediately took a liking to the design. It makes so much sense over a standard powerhead, as long as you aren't pumping water, just moving it around. I think I'll get one too. Is the 4 too big for a 90G soft/LPS tank?

elitephoto

I have a #1 in my 55 gallon corner bowfront. I also have a 600gph pump in my sump feeding into 2 returns into the tank. the flow of all this is perfect in my oppinion. anything more and my corals would be flying everywhere

flinka

I have two Koralia 3s in my 75G and I have good flow at all levels. In a 55G, I would go with a 2 and a 3 or two 3s.

rudedog40

I have a #2 in my 55, but I still have a few dead spots. Probably need another 2 or 3 on the other side. But whatever you do, don't put an anemone in the tank if you get one.

groupergenius

I have 2-#4 and 1-#2 in my 90. The #2 is pointed behind the rock. I still think I need a couple more than the 2-#4 to move the front water. But that's just me. What I have in there now moves all the water very nicely. I just hate to have any detritus settling at all on the rock.